Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:59:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Prolonged artillery fire always makes my Firestorm(s) very
> dead. I haven't figured out a better way to protect them. That, and
> usually one of the artillery batteries can sometimes find direct LOS
> somehow. The Chaos player is smart enough to keep the T-hawks
> off-board until my Firestorm dies.
>
> Mark

That can be a problem. How much terrain are you using? You might want
to try and add more terrain (makes for a better looking game IMHO
anyways). Block that bothersome LOS with more buildings, trees, or what
have you. You were using some kind of "thawk at altitude" rule right?
Insist on the stated rule that everything has LOS to thawks, it is part of
their disadvantages after all that is supposed balance their low cost.
Then you can hide your Firestorms behind buildings and such.

You might want to shift your tactics. If he is spending considerable
resources to destroy your Firestorms (lots-o-shots) you should realize
that this is fire power not being directed at your other troops leaving
him with a "firepower deficit" the first turn or two. If he is
keeping his thawks off the board the first turn (and maybe the second) he
is going to be low on troops for those turns. Sounds to me like you might
be able to swing a first turn victory if you really try. Build your next
army with that in mind. Plan your tactics to give you enough objectives
and broken unit vp's to win on that first turn. If you play REAL
aggressive you might be able to catch him off guard.

This isn't anything really new of course, it is the advice that I usually
give to an Eldar player. You guys are VERY fast but also rather fragile.
So you tend to be strongest on the first turn and much weaker after that.
All armies are that way of course, you are just more so. I've seen it
done (to me I must admit) and now I can't remember the last time I started
with thawks off table.

Just a thought

Chad Taylor