Re: [Epic] lord of battles

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:44:00 -0600

At 16:11 02/05/1997 +1000, you wrote:
>>We play that you don't need to place an order counter, it can move up to
>>30cm, and fires in the advance fire segment. We tried almost every combo
>>of orders vs. command/GD rules, and found that this is a good way to make
>>the LoB worth the 500 pts. without making it too cheesy. Regardless, I
>>rarely take them anymore unless I am facing someone with lots of psychic
>>weapons (3+ save is pretty good!). Yes I know our house rule is against the
>>printed rules, but that's the way we like to play the LoB.
>
>Ah, but the difference between your house rule and the it is a command unit
>rule is that it is damn fair. The other guy seemed to be taking it far past
>the point of decency. We have variations on the rules as house rules, but
>none that add power to a unit. More often then not it makes very little
>difference in the game as a whole.

Okay, I sent a post that I was going to give this up, but I'm the "other
guy" and I'm feeling defensive. First, how is giving it command unit move
and advance fire orders significantly different in power than giving it
command unit firing and regular (actually _more_ restrictive) movement?
Secondly, we play wysiwyg, so basically everyone has at least one hth weapon
on their LoB, which cuts about 1/3 or more of its firepower from what is
apparently common to players on this list. This makes the first fire that
much less effective. Lastly, and most importantly by far, I've played with
it and against it in several battels, and it is generally agreed that it
_has_ been balanced when played like I stated.

Temp