Spartan Carrier was Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Space Marine Army List , Part I (LONG)

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:48:48 -0500 (CDT)

here is some info on the Spartan. pulled this off the 'net
a while ago, the URL lost. still, saved me from typing this sucker in from
from WD119

                       BY RICK PRIESTLEY
RULES FOR THE SPARTAN TERMINATOR TRANSPORT IN WARHAMMER 40,000
The Spartan typifies the ingenuity and inventiveness of Space Marine
engineers when faced with a specific tactical need. In this case, to carry
a squad of fully-armoured and equipped Terminators through the so-called
Ring of Death which the forces of Horus had thrown around the captured
Adeptus Mechanicus city of Aries Primus. This was then the second city of
Mars and the largest single source of war munitions in the Imperium. With
the city in Horus hands, the besieged Earth stood no chance against the
forthcoming
attack from his Rebel forces. Only by recapturing Aries Primus and its
weapons factories could Earths hard-pressed forces be resupplied. Horus
had ordered a defensive plasma ring to be constructed around the city and
called it the Ring of Death. Without vehicle transport, even the
Terminators were unable to get through. The Imperium had lost most of its
armoured carriers in the first battle for Aries Primus, and facilities to
replace them were meagre. So, taking what spare parts and production
facilities were available elsewhere the Spartan and vehicles much like it
were hastily devised. Although many died attempting to cross the Ring
of Death, it was eventually penetrated and destroyed, and the city was
carried thanks to the devotion and sacrifice of the Terminator Suicide
Squads. The Spartan design proved so successful that it was refined and
retained as a standard part of Imperial equipment.

The Spartan is a special conversion based on the well known Land Raider.
The extra luggage space and open-top main hatch are designed to
accommodate the extra bulk of Space Marines wearing Terminator Armour. The
Spartan is armed with two sets of twin lascannon, exactly as the standard
Land Raider, and it is provided with an additional forward facing heavy
bolter and rear facing bolt gun. Both of these hull-mounted weapons are
designed to be operated by a Terminator standing in the Spartan.

Weapons: The Spartan is armed with two sets of twin lascannon mounted in
side sponsons. Each twin-mounted pair can shoot against targets on that
side of the vehicle, so a target can always be hit by at least one pait
Roll once to hit with each pair - so either both weapons bit or both miss.
Determine damage for each gun individually. Each pair of lascannon is
equipped with its own targeter (+ 1 to hit) and auto-systems enabling it
to fire without crew.

The Spartan carries an additional heavy bolter and bolter for use by
crewmen standing in the bay below. These can fire all round and have their
own targeters ( + 1 to hit).

Equipment: The Spartan carries full auto-systems and can operate without
crew

**
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

mike
**