Re: [Epic] Epic 30K Units

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 7-Oct-97 Re: [Epic] Epic 30K Units by Alan E & C. J
Brain_at_dyna
> I will, in the fullness of time, add the following (and fluff) to the
> E30K list that J.M.Looney is so capably filling:
> Mk 1 Land Raider ( 1 AT shot, otherwise as LR - source: Rogue Trader)

Seeing as this came *after* the Heresy, it's a DGQ why there's only the
one lascannon per side.

(Well, OK, fluff inconsistacy, most likely, but....)

> Horus Heresy Mk II LR ( 2 AT Shots, can't carry termis - the usual SM1
> and SM2 one)

Um, Alan, if the Mk.2 LR can't carry Termies, then what is it doing on
the company card in Epic 2nd edition? I think you might want to shunt
the SM2 LRs under the 'Spartan' category, especially since the excerpt
from WD#119 says that it became standard issue throughout the Imperium.
(Hmm, maybe that's why Termies are always mounted in LRs... tradition
dating back to that battle....)

However, I agree that the LRs in SM 1 can't carry Termies; in fact,
their use in the Transport Pool is actually limited to transporting
assault and devastator detachments! Guess those tac troops just don't
get the good stuff....

> Horus Heresy Mk IIa LR aka Spartan ( 2 AT shots, can carry termis, speed
> 25)

Why the speed 25? If the Spartan was "refined and retained as a
standard part of Imperial equipment" it doesn't make sense that it's
that much better. It should just get the ability to carry Termies....

> Mk III LR aka E40K LR ( 2 AT shots, can also carry termis)
>
> Mk I Horus Heresy Whirlwind ( a rhino with a 1-shot light barrage) cost
> 12 pts

Hmm, I don't really see why the barrage should be any different from the
usual. I see the pack as only firing once anyway. However, it should
only be a single shot....

> Mk II Whirlwind ( as per current whirlwind, but looks like a Mk I)
> Mk III aka E40K Whirlwind, with larger external rockets, rather than a
> pack

<nod>
Though I'm still curious as to how those things reload. And if they
don't, then why can't it carry troops?

> Mk I Vindicator - this was on a purpose-built chassis, inspired by the
> Rhino. All the external bits were cleaned off, leaving a smooth,
> featureless surface. Later, it was found that the additional benefit was
> negligible, and cost was high.

Um, Alan, no. The Mk.1 Vindicator was a Rhino with a gun on the front;
it retained *all* the markings and external bits of the Rhino, in spite
of the heavy armour (which is, I think, why the Mk.2 was featureless --
heavy armour plating). It even still has the bolter cupolas, though the
bolters themselves seem to have been removed.

> Mk II Vindicator - this used Rhino components. Again, it was found that
> the benefits of using non-rhino components were low, and the cost high.

This used a Rhino as the basic chassis, with a large cannon mounted
forward and heavy armour plating added to all sides. While providing
greater protection for the tank, it redeced its speed accordingly.

> Mk III Vindicator - a Rhino with a modification kit.

<blink>
<blink>
If this is the E40K Vindicator, I'd tsay that *this* is the first
purpose-built Vindicator... the other two are much more likely to be
simply modified Rhinos.

> All have identical stats. The Mk I, II and III correspond to different
> generations of models.

<nod>

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...