Re: [Epic] Whirlwinds in the Horus Heresy

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 12:05:46 -0400 (EDT)

Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...> writes:
> Excerpts from Epic: 7-Oct-97 Re: [Epic] Whirlwinds in th.. by Mark A
> Shieh_at_...
> > "Sauron Moridor" <sauron1_at_...> writes:
> > > Sauron1 writes;SM1 page46
> > [snip]
> > > The silence was broken by a series of explosions and a bright flash of
> > > searing white light as several World Eater Whirlwind detachments opened
> > > fire...
> > [snip]
> >
> > Right, so Chaos Whirlwinds exist in E40k. But could this just
> > be marines that have become traitor after the Horus Heresy?
>
> Actually, his point was that the Traitor Marines had Whirlwinds in
> 30,000. (Well, 31,000; IIRC, the Heresy was in M32.) The Chaos Codex
> claims they didn't, which is BS from previous fluff. (See above....)

        ??? See above. I was stating that the fluff that Sauron
posted doesn't necessarily mean that Chaos had Whirlwinds in 30k, only
that there have been Chaos Whirlwinds in the history of the 40k
universe. Since we're discussing only the E30k list, the fluff might
not be relevant, depending on whether it's from the Heresy, or whether
it's post-Heresy. (Since the first edition let you fight Imperials
vs. Eldar, I think it includes post-heresy stuff). I can see no
reason why the Chaos Whirlwinds story in question couldn't have
happened as a scenario closer to 40k. It seems that Chaos gets to
field everything the Imperials can, but it takes a while sometimes.

> >The Chaos
> > Codex is kind of odd anyways. Can't you buy anything Marine you could
> > possibly want as long as you pay an extra 50% for the
> > rarity/maintenance, or is that infantry stuff only?
>
> <shrug> Dunno about that, but I think someone suggested that the
> maintenance problem is why Chaos *doesn't* get Whirlwinds in E40K.

        But according to the Chaos Codex, I think that Chaos does get
Whirlwinds in WH40k (not E40k). I need to visit the game store and
check the Codex.

Mark