Re: [Epic] Epic 41K Rule changes

From: Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:27:43 -0700

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte wrote:
> > One wonders if
> > unscrupulous players would deliberately leave models out of command and pick
> > them up with the SC, to soak up fire that would otherwise kill the
> > Commander.
> >

> Can you say "Anti-Tank Shot?" I knew you could. Don't forget E40K does not
> have the "you can't shoot a commander" rule.

I ain't forgetting. I don't think the tactic would be all that effective, just a
bit abusive and silly.

> > > Flak:
> > > 1. The "optional" rules for flyers on page 108 of the battle book are no
> > > longer optional.
> >
> > As they are presented, I don't think the rule presented in the battle book
> > is usable, because as far as I can tell, the flyers would still be
> > vulnerable to snap fire, which means that unless the route just kind of
> > skims the edge of the enemy, all of the flyers would be pretty well
> > automatically shot down/driven off by multiple snap fire attacks. I have no
> > problem with Flak units being allowed to fire at flyers during the rest of
> > their path - it would make flak useful- but something should be added to the
> > effect that flyers are not vulnerable to snap fire after they have made
> > their attack/deployed their passengers.
> >

> As a former "Duck Hunter", (I spent 9 years in US Army Air Defense) think that
> the "real" rules suck wind. The thing in the fluff about point straight up and
> kicking in after burners.... That is what ADA types pray for. Pilots fear
> the "Golden BB", which is small arms fire vs air craft. It's a real problem.
> Unless you do a DAMN good job of SEAD (Suppresion of Enemy Air Defense) your
> zoomie is going to be in a world of hurt. In Desert Storm up to 25% of the
> aircraft flying about function in life was making the life Iraq AD types
> exciting, or short, or both.

So, if a squadron of aircraft flies over, say, 50 infantrymen armed with
small-arms, are they likely to suffer 0%, 10%, or 100% casualties? If the answer is
a hundred percent, then the optional rules work fine, but if the figure is lower,
then they can't be used as is. I agree that flak isn't well presented in E40k, but
I think the optional rules go to far in the opposite direction. I am fine with flak
units getting to hit Flyers on the way out, but it's silly to give every stand on
the flight path a snap fire shot at every aircraft that passes over it.

> > > http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/e41k/

Eugene