Re: [Epic] Epic 41K Rule changes

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 03:41:49 -0500

Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte wrote:

> So, if a squadron of aircraft flies over, say, 50 infantrymen armed with
> small-arms, are they likely to suffer 0%, 10%, or 100% casualties? If the answer is
> a hundred percent, then the optional rules work fine, but if the figure is lower,
> then they can't be used as is. I agree that flak isn't well presented in E40k, but
> I think the optional rules go to far in the opposite direction. I am fine with flak
> units getting to hit Flyers on the way out, but it's silly to give every stand on
> the flight path a snap fire shot at every aircraft that passes over it.
>

> Eugene

With the exceptions of Eldar and the bugs, it is assumed that a
"tactical" squad has at least one heavy weapon in the squad, either a
rocket launcher or some sort of cannon, so we are not just talking small
arms fire. In fact that is what the majority of the fire power of the
squad is, being as how bolters only have a 15 cm range. A squad with
"Heavy Weapon" ,of course, has several of these things.

Things that I am thinking about for fliers in general:
1) allow them 1 turn of up to 90 degrees, at some point in there flight
path. This will help a lot with avoiding snap fire.
2) Restrict snap fire vs. flyers to FLAK units and HEAVY WEAPON units,
with FLAK units having a "normal" range and HEAVY WEAPON units having a
10 cm range.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus