Re: [Epic] Epic 41K Rule changes

From: Matthew Weyna <burb96_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:56:18 -0500

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte wrote:
>

> > So, if a squadron of aircraft flies over, say, 50 infantrymen armed with
> > small-arms, are they likely to suffer 0%, 10%, or 100% casualties? If the answer is
> > a hundred percent, then the optional rules work fine, but if the figure is lower,
> > then they can't be used as is. I agree that flak isn't well presented in E40k, but
> > I think the optional rules go to far in the opposite direction. I am fine with flak
> > units getting to hit Flyers on the way out, but it's silly to give every stand on
> > the flight path a snap fire shot at every aircraft that passes over it.
> >

> > Eugene
>
> With the exceptions of Eldar and the bugs, it is assumed that a
> "tactical" squad has at least one heavy weapon in the squad, either a
> rocket launcher or some sort of cannon, so we are not just talking small
> arms fire. In fact that is what the majority of the fire power of the
> squad is, being as how bolters only have a 15 cm range. A squad with
> "Heavy Weapon" ,of course, has several of these things.
>
> Things that I am thinking about for fliers in general:
> 1) allow them 1 turn of up to 90 degrees, at some point in there flight
> path. This will help a lot with avoiding snap fire.
> 2) Restrict snap fire vs. flyers to FLAK units and HEAVY WEAPON units,
> with FLAK units having a "normal" range and HEAVY WEAPON units having a
> 10 cm range.
<snip>
  Well, seing as how my Uncle was a Navy pilot during Vietnam, I managed
to call him on this one. And here is what he said.
 "Small arms fire was the most dangerous thing to us back then. We were
flying so low that those rifles they were using, the ammo would slice
right through-shredding all your electrical, fuel, and pilots that they
came in contact with."
  I did try to make him not sound like such a Hick, but other than that
that was exactly what he said. Now, from a man that was shot down b/c
of SAF I would tend to beleive his story...

  Matthew Weyna