Re: [Epic] Dark Angels

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 20:25:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, J. Michael Looney wrote:

> <semi-rant>Epic DOES stand alone. You can play epic with out EVER looking at a
> WH40K product if you feel that way. The Epic game SYSTEM has ZERO in common with
> the Warhammer 40K game SYSTEM.
> </semi-rant>

well, they both use the D6 for providing random numbers ;-)

> No version of Warhammer 40K has dealt with vehicles worth a damn. Most games
> designed to deal with small groups of infantry have problems with AFV, so that is
> not really a problem with rules design as such, just that one of scope and scale.

a big agree here. GW seems to swing back and forth on how tough vehicles
are to kill. example, the pre 128?(the targeting grid tranparency stuff)
with all the custom rules for custom building vehicles with multiple power
fields, a Toughness value/damage charts and stuff were _way_ over the
top. vehicles were overpowering, but expensive, point wise.

Then the rules from the WD128-140?(reprinted in the short lived Vehicle
Guide) were fairly balanced, but slow and IMHO,not much fun to use.

2nd ed. WH40k came out, and vehicles became rolling deathtraps, waiting
for any punk with powerfist to make its day.

With Rhinos and Battlewagons, transporting troops is quite a risk.

at least with E40k, troops have a chance to get out of a hit vehicle.

> I have found that games designed around AFV can add dis-mounted infantry into the
> mix easier than games designed around grunts can add in tanks, just for what it is
> worth, so in this case this is NOT a general slam on GW's game design folk. (not
> that _I_ would _ever_ do that....)

yes better game designers than GW have failed at this.

1 or 2 transported termies don't really affect game balance that much.
Termies don't seem as powerful in E40k, compaired to how they worked
in SM.

Since this will be house rules for only 1per LR(didn't JJ pass on this,
with the Q&A from a couple month back, saying to play it either way?)
this has been blown a little out of proportion.

I can see having only 1 just because most of the guys I play E40k
with, 80% played WH40k first. Most of the SM/TL guys were too
pissed off with GW(the E40k rules) to want to play. they liked
SM as it was. So, the new epic players assume 1 termie stand per LR,
just like in WH40k. play with the background your group knows best.

Taking 2 termies per LR rates a lowly 1.5 out of 10 on the cheeze scale.

**
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

mike
**