Re: [Epic] Dark Angels

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 21:24:29 -0500

Mike Bowen wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, J. Michael Looney wrote:
>
> > <semi-rant>Epic DOES stand alone. You can play epic with out EVER looking at a
> > WH40K product if you feel that way. The Epic game SYSTEM has ZERO in common with
> > the Warhammer 40K game SYSTEM.
> > </semi-rant>
>
> well, they both use the D6 for providing random numbers ;-)

Ok, not ZERO then. "If not Epsilon then damn close"

> > I have found that games designed around AFV can add dis-mounted infantry into the
> > mix easier than games designed around grunts can add in tanks, just for what it is
> > worth, so in this case this is NOT a general slam on GW's game design folk. (not
> > that _I_ would _ever_ do that....)
>
> yes better game designers than GW have failed at this.

YEah, look at AH's Squad Leader, (not ASL, the "real" version)

> I can see having only 1 just because most of the guys I play E40k
> with, 80% played WH40k first. Most of the SM/TL guys were too
> pissed off with GW(the E40k rules) to want to play. they liked
> SM as it was. So, the new epic players assume 1 termie stand per LR,
> just like in WH40k. play with the background your group knows best.

Well, yeah, maybe. The nice thing about E40K (and for that matter SM-1) is that you
could design forces that let you do that LEGALLY. In SM-2, well I happen to have a
"Space Marine Terminator Company" card in front of me.

7 Land Raiders, one of which is a cheeze ball, 13 termies, 1 of which is cheeze wizz.

<bad german accent>
You MUST take it dis vay as VE ARE DE MASTERS. VE KNOW HOW TO MAKE DER ARMIES. You
CAN NOT BE TRUSTED TO DO DIS YOURSELF.
</bad german accent>

And people accuse me of "blindly following GW" because I happen to like the E40K rules
better than SM-2.....

I don't like the 2nd Ed commander rules or the idea of company cards. Does this show?

> Taking 2 termies per LR rates a lowly 1.5 out of 10 on the cheeze scale.

A 1.5 on the cheeze scale??? Hell, Land Raiders them self rate higher than that!! :-)