Re: [Epic]Adepta Sororitas Fluff

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 15:31:20 -0700

For your perusal, some extensive quotes about the AS:

The Adepta Sororitas
====================

"As the power of the Ecclisarchy has grown, so a multitude of
sub-organisations
have developed within the Ecclisiarchy. An interesting example of this
is the
Adepta Sororitas, an order of devotional warrior women. The Adepta is
organised
along similar lines to the Space Marines. The Sisterhood, as it is
generally known,
is led by an Abbess and includes many lesser ranks and offices in a
similar way
to the Adeptus Astartes. There are two convent-fortresses: the Sanctorum
on Earth
and the Prioris on Ophelia 4. The personnel and fleets of each fortress
are
commanded by a Prioress under the direct supervision of the Abbess on
Earth. The
Adepta Sororitas is a penitent organisation where constant hardship,
deprivation
and arduous work are part of an unrelenting devotional regime. The
slightest
deviation from approved stricture results in the severest chastisement."

Source:Rogue Trader p268

"Amongst other prohibitions on military activity imposed by the High
Lords of Terra
after the Age of Apostasy, the Ecclisarchy are forbidden from
controlling any
"Men under arms". Seeing that some military force is neccessary to
prevent them
from becoming totally subservient to the will of the Adeptus Astartes*
and the
Imperial Guard, the Ecclisaiarchy maintains the one army allowed by the
archaic
wording of the law. This army is made up from the Orders Militant of the
Adepta
Sororitas, the Sisters of Battle."

"Each Order is run by a Cannoness and her Sisters Superior**...."

"The most widely known Orders of the Sisterhood are the Orders Militant.
These Battle
Sisters follow the original doctrines of the Daughters of the
Emperor...."

"Totally incorruptible and dedicated to a life of penitent worship and
humble living,
the Sororitas are used to enforce the will of the Emperor as interpreted
by the
Ecclesiarch and the Holy Synod."

Sorce: White Dwarf 211 pp50-51

Organisation
============
"The Orders Militant are further broken down into military units, with
each squad
led by a Sister Superior. The most senior Sisters Superior may have
organisational
control over several squads of Battle Sisters, but in conflict each
squad is
generally considered an individual entity. The most skilled and
experienced Battle
Sisters receive further training and become inducted into the most
ancient rites of
the Order. These elites are known as Seraphim and the most trusted and
spiritual of
their number gain the right to become the personal bodyguard of the
Order's
Canoness." - WD 211

Ecclesiarch

Adepta Sororitas

    | |
Convent Sanctorum (Earth) Convent Prioris (Ophelia VII)
  Orders Militant
     Order of the Bloody Rose Order of the Sacred Rose
     Order of Our Martyred Lady Order of the Ebon Chalice
     Order of the Valorous Heart Order of the Argent Shroud
  Orders Hospitaller
     Order of the Sacred Candle Order of the Cleansing Water
     Order of Serenity Order of the Torch
  Orders Famulous
     Order of the Key Order of the Holy Seal
     Order of the Gate Order of the Sacred Coin
  Orders Dialogous
     Order of the Holy Word Order of the Sacred Oath
     Order of the Quill Order of the Lexicon
  Minor Orders
     - -

The Imperial Cult
=================
"Squads of Battle Sisters often accompany Missionaries and Confessors,
as they
go about their duties, providing a very obvious reminder of the
Ecclisarchy's
power. They often fight alongside the Imperial Guard, adding a core of
highly
skilled, totally devoted and superbly equipped warriors to supplement
the
massed ranks of the Imperial Guard." - WD211

"Senior Preachers may be placed in chrge of a Mission of up to several
hundred
Preachers and despatched to spread the word amongst unenlightened
worlds.
The principal tenets of the Imperial Cult are the persecution of
mutants, the
abhorence of aliens and the worship of both the the Emperor and Impeial
Ideals."

"Trained Preachers administer the rites of the Imperial Cult to devotees
all
over the Imperium. The army, navy and all branches of the Adeptus Terra
have
Preachers within their ranks. As well as common Preachers there are
special
officers empowered to conduct the most important Cult rites. the most
common
of these are the Confessors. Confessors are highly experienced
individuals
whose success as Preachers has led to their elevation to Confessors.
They
travel from planet-to-planet, spreading the faith and holding
evangelical
rallies. New cult recruits are encouraged to 'confess' personal
mutations as
well as mutations or strange behaviour amongst their friends and
relatives.
Confession is not neccessarily good for the soul... but it does help the
process of mutant control which is vital to the future of humanity." -
RT

The Adepta Sororitas and Adeptus Astartes
"Unquestioned loyalty to the Imperial Cult is vital because the Sisters
are
expected to maintain a close eye upon all servants of the Imperium.
Every single
day, squads of Battle-Sisters descend upon unsuspecting departments of
the Adeptus
Terra, administering genetic and psychological tests in order to expose
wrong-doers,
mutants and malcontents. Whole companies of Battle-Sisters travel to
war-zones, to
the fortress monasteries of the Adeptus Astartes, to the fleets and to
the scattered
worlds of the Imperium. No-one is safe from their vigilance."-RT

"The first Space Marine Chapters were founded centuries before the
development of
the Imperial Cult and the dominion of the Adeptus Ministorum. As a
result, every
Space Marine chapter has its own cult practices and its own priests,
known as
Chaplains. Whereas the Adeptus Ministorum has gradually extended its
influence
over all the many thousands of individual cults that once existed
throughout the
galaxy, it has never been able to influence the Space Marine cults,
which remain
as stubbornly individualistic today as they ever were. Other civilian
cults are
denounced as heresy, and their adherents rooted out by the Ministorum's
troops,
but the Space Marine Chaplains care nothing for the ravings of the
Ecclesaiarchy
and ignore the dictates of the Imperial Cult in favour of their own
ancient
traditions." - WD 208 p 81

"Occasionally the Battle Sisters will even have common cause with the
fierce
Space Marines of the Adeptus Astartes. Although the relationship between
these
two organisations is only civil at best, the Space Marines and Battle
Sisters
both respect each other's prowess and skill at arms. Many times the foes
of the
Imperium have ben eradicated by a combined attack from these two elite
forces."
- WD211 p 51

* - Adeptus Terra in the original
** - Sister Superiors in the original

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo