Re: [Epic] Painting Dark Angels

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:24:56 -0400

Cyril Crocker wrote:

> As an Eldar/Ork player, I don't have too much experience painting SMs. However, I decided to try Dark Angels. I painted 1 Land Raider as follows:
>
> 1) Primed.
> 2) Paint it DA green. Paint metal areas Boltgun Metal.
> 3) Give the entire model a wash of Black Wash.
> 4) Highlight with Goblin Green and Mithril Silver.
>
> Does anyone else have any other ways to paint them or suggestions to my method before I start painting my entire army?

I assume you've checked the battle book and discovered their use of red? If not, most guns have at least some red on them. I wouldn't worry about where
you put the red, because you can just say that the crew personalized their weapons. If they keep bitching give them a kick in the cack. Seriously, I
found that a little red helps, more for infantry where you can't get enough silver to make that much of a difference. (I painted the blades of my
assault marine's chainswords silver, and as far as I could tell, if I squinted right, it looked like light reflecting off the black of the sword)

So yes, a little red is nice. Infantry have a single red diagonal stripe on their right knee pad, but that's silly for E40K, so I just dab the whole
thing red.

I would switch from goblin green to emerald green, I use emerald, and I can't imagine goblin being any good. Oh well, it's infront of you, so you can
tell how the highlighting looks

For other painters, I noticed that the highlight colours I usually use of 40K mini's are not different enough to really be noticed on infantry. It's
kinda upsetting, because I bought Shadow Grey and Blood Angel Red for that purpose. Just for those who haven't bought their paints yet.