Re: [Epic] Fodder (was: Detachment)

From: <JLawitzke_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-10-17 09:11:31 EDT, Andy Meechan writes:
> In both of the previous World Wars, Fighter Pilots were best taking
> shots to wreck the opposing plane rather than trying to kill the
pilot
> as there were a longer list of potential flyboys than spares. A
> question of resources which would definately apply to the IG and
> probably not to the Marines.

I completely disagree with your interpretation of history. The pilots were
far more important than the planes. Experience counted a lot more than time
to train.

In the Battle of Britain, an extremly important contribution to the British
victory was the fact that most of the battles occured over English soil so
that when a RAF plane was shot down, the pilot was recovered and could fly
again. If the British had lost an experienced pilot for every plane they
lost, they'd be serving a lot of bratwurst in London pubs.

Also, look at the last half of WWII in the Pacific. The Japanese lost the
majority of their experienced pilots at the battle of Midway. One of the
primary reasons of the large kill count at the Marianas Turkey Shoot was that
the Japanese were short experienced pilots and had to rush green pilots
through training and out to the front.

Although I disagree with your comparison, I do agree with the original Marine
vs IG Trooper worth assertion.

-j