Re[2]: [Epic] GamesWorkshop WWW site

From: Andy Meechan <a.meechan_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 97 09:40:07 gmt

Last I heard they were adding an Online Catalogue, which will be good
for all you non-WD subscribers out there.

     That's the idea, yup.

Now, I've not touched HTML since Grade 11 (2 years) but I think this may
be a very time consuming task, and they probably won't add much for
awhile.

     It will be time consuming to get right, besides they update monthly
     (well, ideally) in time with the WD release.

I always thought the page plain sucked. I mean, sure it had
advertisements for the games, but it didn't seem at all geared to old
players. I guess old players don't need to buy as much, but still, it
was very low on usefull information

     Think of it this way:

     1) WD is an advert for the hobby.
     2) GW can put WD on newsstands in the UK because they are guaranteed
     sales. The stores are everywhere and the wastage of copies is fairly
     low.
     3) Newsstand sales in the US are NOT guaranteed and thus the wastage
     would be MUCH higher. Considering that Web access is more prolific
     State-side than the UK and their target market is likely to have said
     access what do you do?

     That's right - Online WD preview. If the preview gets you interested
     then you can search out WD on the Newsstands. But no! it gets better,
     GW offer 'starter' deals for the hobby (check out the page), so those
     who are interested can phone in an order AND get a deal at the same
     time.

     Sound policy if you ask me.

     Now, GW don't need to produce pages full of usable stuff as WE do that
     for them - why else have they not cracked down ala some major film &
     TV companies. It means the hobby proliferates through the players and
     fan(atic)s. Besides how would they sell their product if they gave it
     away (please, no responses about miniatures ;)

     No, GW are on the right track here. Of course a link to, say, Karre
     Flareup's GW Gateway might be nice, but if you can find the GW
     homepage you'll likely have come across the Gateway first!

     -Andy-