Re: [Epic] Releases/Inks

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:49:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Neil R. Thomason wrote:

> >Sauron1 writes; Neil; Just a quick question. Do you use artists ink washes
> >or have another source? Can you get metallic pasts for drybrushing?
>
> Pretty much by accident, I have a small stock of the 'old' inks. I haven't
> needed to buy more in the last couple of years, so any changes passed me by.
> Apart from green and chestnut, I don't use inks very much, so I'm safe for a
> while.

lucky. the old inks were much better than the new washes and glazes

I have used the new stuff, and for best results, i brush a thin coat of
microscale "satin" clearcoat over the mini first, let dry, then wash.

also, I like the washes thinned with a little Windex glass cleaner, makes
the wash go on smoother.

> I've used artists' inks occasionally. The ones I used were Windsor & Newton
> (sounds very English, but I think they're a multinational). Good colours,
> but they contain shellac, which can ruin brushes and leave an unpleasantly
> shiny finish on the figure. They don't take further painting very well,
> unless extremely dry.

instead of inks, sometimes i thin down enamels or oils with turpinoid
(a substitute thinner) let dry, then gently wipe off the highspots with
a cloth moistened with mineral spirits

using acrylic based washes/inks result in a lot of brush cleaning,
use soapy water followed by a quick cleaning in acetone.

dont use your premium brushes for washes.

> I've never found a satisfactory blue ink. All the artists' inks I've tried,
> and the GW one, dry with a purplish sheen. So I don't use a blue ink at all!

Tamiya makes a Clear Blue acrylic.. thin it down and try that

> 'Fraid I don't understand what you mean by 'metallic pasts'. I just use the
> Citadel metallic paints - silver, gold, green, blue and purple. If I want
> other colours, I mix them myself.

most craft stores here in the states have "Rub N Buff" a small tube of
paste with a enamel? base, kind of slow drying, but nice for metallic
finishes and highlights

I really don't like the citadel metal colors, i like the pollyscale paint
much better. they make some nice "anodized" metal colors

> A bit of a trade secret: I very, VERY rarely drybrush - only furs, ribbed
> cables or other heavily-textured surfaces.

Hmm. I'm a drybrush addict- do you do your shawdowing by building up thin
layers?

> Cheers,
>
> NRT
>
> Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim

**
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

mike
**