Re: [Epic] Releases/Inks

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:14:37 +0100 (BST)

>Sauron1 writes; Neil; Just a quick question. Do you use artists ink washes
>or have another source? Can you get metallic pasts for drybrushing?

Pretty much by accident, I have a small stock of the 'old' inks. I haven't
needed to buy more in the last couple of years, so any changes passed me by.
Apart from green and chestnut, I don't use inks very much, so I'm safe for a
while.

I've used artists' inks occasionally. The ones I used were Windsor & Newton
(sounds very English, but I think they're a multinational). Good colours,
but they contain shellac, which can ruin brushes and leave an unpleasantly
shiny finish on the figure. They don't take further painting very well,
unless extremely dry.

I've never found a satisfactory blue ink. All the artists' inks I've tried,
and the GW one, dry with a purplish sheen. So I don't use a blue ink at all!

'Fraid I don't understand what you mean by 'metallic pasts'. I just use the
Citadel metallic paints - silver, gold, green, blue and purple. If I want
other colours, I mix them myself.

A bit of a trade secret: I very, VERY rarely drybrush - only furs, ribbed
cables or other heavily-textured surfaces.

Cheers,

NRT

Squad Helps Dog Bite Victim