Re: [Epic] Basing Eldar

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:55:36 -0500 (EST)

allen_at_... (A. Allen McCarley) writes:
> How ar people basing their Eldar Figures? I'm especially curious about:

> 1) Dark Reapers. Marines and Guard get to make heavy stands by placing
> two heavy weapons troops on a stand. The Eldar seem to need 5. This
> seems just a bit illogical to me. But, if I use only two, what do I fill
> the other three holes with? Would it look really silly to use Guardians
> do you think? Is there any WH40K experience here that is relevant?

        Well, if you use the same definition of a squad as 40k, just
wander over to rgmw occasionally and read the army lists. Dark
Reapers aren't as common as they used to be, but they're usually
fielded in threes. If you take the points values, then 3 Dark Reapers
is about as much as 20 Guardians, IIRC. A Dark Reaper exarch is
usually so mean that he could be placed on his own stand. Darn
wargear. :( So, if you were to base it off of 40k, I'd say put three
Dark Reapers on a stand and call it done. If you use an Exarch, you'd
probably only need one additional figure.

> 2) Harlequins are really undersupplied in the new boxs. All you get are
> standard Harlequins. The detachment sheet seems to imply that Harlys
> become heavy troops with the addition of a single Death Jester. I'm using
> an old Heavy Weapons Guardian for this. However, what would anyone
> suggest using for
> a) Solitaire
> b) Great Harlequin
> c) The Harlequin psyker (whatever his name was)
Shadow Seer

> There were two Aspect Warriors that didn't make it in the changeover to
> E40K. I forget their names. One looks like a new Guardian with a chopped
> off Rifle and an especially curly helmet (Dire Avenger?) and the other
> appears to be holding a very short flame thrower. Someone who's seen
> a WH40K solitaire and psyker, would either of these look appropriate
> enough to use?

        Nope. Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons don't really look like
anything in the Harlequin force. They're sort of unique,
unfortunately. I think a Solitaire looks like an unarmored man with a
faceless mask and a hood over his head, but I could have them
confused. I can't remember what any of the others look like without
consulting my codex, except that there seemed to be a lot of
similarities between Dark Reapers and Death Jesters. I think they
both have the skull face. I'm sure someone will get back to you, but
I'll look at my codex tonight if I get a chance.

Mark