Re[2]: [Epic] [Almost-Epic] Codices

From: Keith Laidlaw <k.laidlaw_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 97 10:02:14 gmt

You wrote ...

Tu as �crit :

(...)

>All the models in one
>dertachment pretend to be French (putting on stripey shirts, onions
>round their shoulders, baguettes, you get the idea)

Non, vraiment, I don't see what you mean!!!!! ;)
Just a stupid question, I understand the stripey shirts and baguettes
but not "the onions round their shoulders", is this part of the
usual French caricature?

(...)

     Years ago (40+ ?) onion growers from Brittany would cross the Channel
     to sell their onions around the south of England. They would travel by
     bicycle from town to town.

     For the British, this has become a caricature of the French (beret,
     stripey shirt, onions and bicycle) in the same way as the English are
     seen as wearing bowler hats, pinstripe trousers and carrying umbrellas
     by the rest of the world.

     Keith