Re: [Epic] Battle Report

From: Bart Koehler <bkoehler_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:04:40 -0500

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> > To the ork players out there ... How do you deal with Imperial Armies ??? I suggested to Al that he should base his army around Gargants. What do you think.

> that gargants help the Orks out quite a bit as long as you keep them
> with your army rather than out on their own. An infantry-oriented army
> will also work well, since having mostly 3+ and 4+ armor neutralizes the
> advantages of AT shots and overwatch which are key to marine
> effectiveness. Take plenty of fighta-bommas. Big Gunz and Pulsa
> Rokkits are good if you take care in deploying them and make sure the
> marines have other priorities (like Gargants) while your moving up your
> arty.

Hey, that sounds like my army! Gargatns tend to win the day for orcs as long as you don't send them out first. Support them with ground troops.I have had a lot
of success with large orc detachments with Grots. The grots will soak up the overwatch fire enough for you to unload into whatever is in front of you. I try to
take a fair assortment of Nobz as well. Their assault and save is the best value for their points in the orc army. I take Fighta Bommerz to ward off enemy air.
I like Big Gunz and Pulsa's, but I have been unsuccesful in gettin gthem close enough to the battle. If you take large units of Big Gunz, give them two or three
flak wagons as thios unit will almost certainly be targeted by air.

My biggest problem has been getting my Speedsta's to do anything. They have all tended to die very early, usually by Lan Raiders (Surprise). I haven't been very
successful with my Kult of Speed, which is most likely due to my plaing them wrong. I tend to charge them out along a flank (making the appropriate Vroooom
noises as I move them). They tend to get squashed early. I think the best use of them would be to hold them back a bit until the game sorts out and then charge
them into a weak flank. I will try that next against Eric. It doesn't matter if he reads this, the planet is mine anyway. ;-)

Bart