Re: [Epic] LOTS OF BOXES & SQUARE BASES

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 09:22:11 -0500

COOK MATTHEW JOHN wrote:
> I bought 6 or 8 boxes of ork invasion sprues plus three SM boxes
> worth of Ork horde plus a couple more hordes.
> Main reason for all the invasions was to get lots of bikes, ie 6
> boxes only equaled three units of Nobz Warbikes! Now have 15 bike
> stands and 60 warbuggies painted up. Also wanted lots of Boarboyz,
> have 15 stands of those painted as well.(stands = 2 bikes a piece as
> in old SM/TL).
> Somebody in another messages was talking about old stands being
> outlawed, according to Derby, Sheffield and Portsmouth stores the old
> stand ARE STILL VALID. The way they explained it to me was the old
> stands had disadvantges as well as advantages against new stands
> which balanced out. Ie old style more vulnerable to barrages but
> more maneuveourable, etc.
> They were however more unsure about bikes as they are now 3 bikes a
> stand but still allowed to use mine in a couple of games including
> Shefield (Meadowhall)and Derby stores

I assumed I'd stick with square bases at first, but since I had
already decided to start my painting over (didn't really like what
I had done already), I took a look at the new ones and decided I
like 'em better. Well, I'm still nervous that I'll have to put
one going sideways through some narrow terrain sometime, but I
guess I'll get over it. :-)

But bikes--I have not yet decided to put 3 to a base. I have 4
of the old Ork Invasion boxes--that's 20 sprues. (I've got enough
traktor kannons!) I also have several of the new Ork sprues. I
probably have 32 Ork bikes, if there are 3 on the new sprue. That's
16 mounted doubly (easily possible with Orks), 10 triply. Plus I
want some left over for my Epic Stargrunt II games, if I do that
someday. I really shouldn't have to buy anymore bikes. I do think
the old square base was crowded, so I might mount two on a larger
base. But I doubt I'll do three.

By the way, I snipped off the wheels and filed down the bottom of
a traktor kannon and glued it to the top of a battlewagon. Looks
pretty good, for variety, though not great as a model itself.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...