[Epic] R: Sv: [almost Epic] Codices

From: Gianluigi Basenghi <gbasenghi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 04:21:56 +0100

----------
> Da: John Chapman <john_at_...>
> A: space-marine_at_...
> Oggetto: Re: Sv: [Epic] Re:[Almost-Epic] Codices
> Data: mercoled� 5 novembre 1997 4.18
>
> > The Eldar flak controversy is whether the Fire Prism fires as:
> > a) 1 firepower
> > b) 1 AT shot
> >
> > The rules would seem to indicate a), but that seems to make the Fire
Prism
> > pretty expensive to use as a flak unit. (Then again, Eldar flyers are
> > the best in the game. Perhaps they were intentionally given a flak
unit
> > that you'd rather *not* use special orders for)
> >
> At 35 points it already IS fairly expensive as a flak unit.
> As to the 'eldar flyers are the best in the game' spiel. Well theyre
supposedly
> that but lets have a little look.
> Nightwings - best stats of any fighter in the game.
> than have overkill on one target.
> Pheonix Bombers. Not bad but no better than say a Maurauder
> Hmmmm the best Flyers - not really
> JAC

Yes, it's all true, but if you like Thunderhawk, then, get Space Marines!
What I mean is that you always should consider an army for what it can do
as a whole, and that it make no sense trying to compare every single unit
point for point.
Eldar get falcons and fancy AT weapons than the other army can only dream
of:
all you have to do is try to gain the best from every single one of your
superior weaponary, so, if you don't want to be "Overkilled" by gargoyles,
support your flyers at best with flak and snap fire, and send your prized
Nightwing where a little hevy puching unit can do the difference (i.e.
things that other flyers can't do).
In first stage of theVietnam war the USAAF had different kind of fighters
suitable for ground attak but send Phantoms where they could make the
difference (better speed, firepower, survivability), not where they could
be shot down for little gain.
From the beginning the eldar army has been peculiar for beeng a difficult
army to play:
if you don't like it, chose one that suit better to you.

(No offence meant JAC)
Pippero