Re: [Epic] Kustom Orky Battle Wagons

From: Matthew J. Silvernail <msilver_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:28:33 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Andy Skinner wrote:

> Matthew J. Silvernail wrote:
> > a move of 45, charge 90, and march of 135. Stick 3 nobz on it,
> > charge it at the enemy, put the nobz on assault.... well, you
> > get the picture.
> I was going to say here that I still don't think you can put a
> unit on assault in a transport on march (I think the detachment
> on march is supposed to be moving the whole turn), but I see that
> he does say "charge it at the enemy", which I'll take to mean put
> it on assault, too. That's OK, in my opinion, though still pretty
> mean.

Yep. I think according to a literal reading of the rules, there's
nothing to stop you from putting transported/hitching troops on
different orders than the transports if they're in/on are from
different detachments. However, I wouldn't do it myself, since
its a pretty cheap trick. Also, I wouldn't do it since I don't
want to see my Eldar opponents putting their swooping hawks on
assault while being transported by charging falcons. :)

> > Since the nobz are hitching a lift and not
> > transported, the fact that the battlewagon will blow up easy
> > on march doesn't matter, since the nobz aren't inside when the
> > battlewagon blows up,
> Is that the way it works? I see that transport and hitching a lift
> are in different paragraphs, so it seems this may be the legal way
> the rule works. But I'd think boyz hitching a lift would actually
> be more vulnerable than troops inside a transport.

Yeah, that's how it works. Troops hitching a lift are dropped off
of (placed adjacent to) the vehicle at the end of the movement -
so the only time that a hitch-hiking troop can be shot while on
the transport is in the case of snap fire, at which point you have
to make up some kind of rule on the spot as to whether the troops
survive or not, since GW forgot to mention this special case in
the rules on hitching a lift. They probably didn't realize it
could happen - my respect for GW as rules authors isn't exactly
the highest. Our house rule is that hitching troops whose
vehicle is snap-fired to death live half the time, same as
troops in a transport, but that's arbitrary.

-- Matt Silvernail