Re: [Epic] Overwatch and Some Random Comments

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:54:54 -0800

Scott Shupe wrote:

> * Large detachment of termies and LRs, on overwatch, with no nearby
> cover for assault detachments to sneak through. With the termies
> in the front to absorb hits (damn Save ability). Not a pleasant sight.

> The only good answer to this is: make it come to you, and pound it
> with as many 60cm+ weapons as you can muster.

The "10 Land Raiders with support" line is a pain, as you so rightly
surmised. In fact, it's a tactical problem that will bias the
composition and troop choice of any Imperial opponent.
There are a number of ways to deal with it, though.

Firstly, for non-Orks:
a) Hit it with 60cm range weapons
b) For Eldar, some EofVs behind cover (if there is any)
c) Stay out of 45cm range in the shooting phase, then assault with
fast-moving transports carrying jump-pack or fast infantry. Even Rhinos
+ Assault Marines can manage 25cm + (depending on your reading (10-5) *
3 or 15cm or (10)*3 - 5 or 25cm. Tyrannids can do something similar, and
Eldar can do this and more

If you're Orks, a) is out, since you don't have any (apart from 2
1-shots per Mega-gargant. Wheee) c) is out, since you don't have any
transports as such: your troops stop moving on the dismount. HOWEVER...
you do have something. Pulsas.

Move 2 units, each containing 1 Warboss, 6 Boyz and 12 Pulsas in the
assault phase, so they end up within 45cm of the screen of termies. In
the movement phase of next turn, ie before the LRS can fire, place an
average of 16 Barrage Markers on the unit. The termies are out of range,
so only 4 of the 20 AT shots can fire. This will lose you an average of
3 units ( Overwatch means re-roll, so they hit 3/4 of the time)

Repeat.

After the unit has accumulated 50 or so barrage markers, you may well
have won, due to Morale. If not, send in an assault force. Most likely,
the Imperials will try to come to you first.

Another, riskier, way is to have a Card that gives you initiative, and
send in the Cult of Speed with 10 buggies, a Warboss bike, and 10
Speedsters with Lifta-Droppas. This will take out the LRs, and the
buggies will melt away from the termies, but not before they've done
SOME damage.

One of the things I like about E40K is the fact that there are a) Some
excellent set-piece tactics and b) Pretty much all of them can be
overcome by good generalship. I haven't figured a counter to the 10
Doomstrikes yet though. Massed IG artillery of other types can be
(partially) countered by biting the bullet and marching to within 15cm
of the front line. You actually take less casualties in toto, just more
in a single turn.
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo