[Epic] Overwatch and Some Random Comments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:46:40 -0500

After playing in a 3-way battle over the weekend against Erik and
Bart, I reached a few more conclusions about Epic 40k:

* Close combat is not god in E40k (as I stated a few months ago
following my first few games) - overwatch is the one true god of the
game. Getting to reroll the dice is just too much, especially when it
comes to ATs, Disrupts, any artillery, and FP against high-armor
targets. I'm not sure what could be done about it, but it should
definitely be toned down somehow (IMO).

* War engines continue to not impress me. This is, I think, somewhat
related to the above point since WEs can't have OW orders and thus
trying to utilize them as FP platforms doesn't work when you're facing
high armor values (like tanks or marines). The only good use of WEs
that I see is as Death Ray (or AT, depending on your army) platforms.
Or as fire magnets (shielded WEs only).

* Bezerkers suck. End of story. Which is a shame, since that makes
the idea of a pure chaos marine army that much weaker. I managed to
get these guys into combat without getting shot up too much, but only
by using the Forced March card.

* They brought back Plague Wind!!! What were they thinking?!? GAH!

* Heavy barrages.... eh. As far as chaos goes, I'd say take
Contagions over Cannons of Khorne every time. Sure, the Contagions
can't actually kill anything, but they're sooo much cheaper and piling
BMS on key detachments is essential to winning (especially if morale
is a part of the scenario). I just don't think the extra points for
heavy barrages is worth it.

* Spending points on ground attack air power is a waste. Take enough
interceptors to cover your butt and spend the rest on ground troops.
Air power in general doesn't get enough time on the board to justify
bringing anything more.

* Large detachment of termies and LRs, on overwatch, with no nearby
cover for assault detachments to sneak through. With the termies
in the front to absorb hits (damn Save ability). Not a pleasant sight.
The only good answer to this is: make it come to you, and pound it
with as many 60cm+ weapons as you can muster. Too bad that's not what
I did... I foolishly thought I could take something like this on, and
watched half my army get grounded into chuck as a result. Very
painful. Erik, you really should nickname that detachment the "Meat
Grinder" - but don't think my bezerkers and daemons are going to
charge headlong into it next time around...

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"I felt like I was becoming scientifically interesting." - Heart of
Darkness