Re: Rapiers(wasSupport Weapons (was Re: [Epic] Squat 40K List))

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 20:31:51 -0800

Gianluigi Basenghi wrote:

> Aaron P Teske wrote:

> I agree with the stats for Mole Mortar & Thudd Gun but I think the stats
> for Rapier are wrong:If Epic 40K is tied to the WH40K game, the rapier
> should be considered as the master AT support weapon, as it is one of
> the most effective armor-piercing support in the 28mm game.
> It is quite useless in troop shooting as it is no better than a
> lascannon, but it gain a better penetration vs tanks and bunkers.
> this told I'd suggest these stats for the weapon:
>
> Rapier 10 30 2*AT 0 4+

As the author of the aforementioned stats, I think it would be useful to
mention how I arrived at them. Please bear with me for a while.

Firstly, I don't own WH40K, and have never played it.
Secondly, I do, however, have SM1, TL, SM2 etc. And from this I got
the following "raw data"

SM2 : Range 50cm (ie bolter range), 1 shot, 4+ to hit (ie high hit
probability), -1 Save mod (ie good, but not great)

Also the following fluff:
"The Rapier Laser Destroyer is a slow moving but potent support vehicle.
It carries a modified lascannon with 4 seperate barrels. Because the
laser blast is diffused through four barrels the weaon is shortened and
the blast spread slightly. As a result the Rapier is shorter ranged than
a normal lascannon but more likely to hit a dispersed target such as
infantry. It is designed to support advancing infantry and protect them
from attack."

AHA! Said I. Good against infantry, less good against point targets
(such as bunkers). OK, AT is right out. It supports advancing infantry -
so make it a Close Support Weapon.

How was I to know that in WH40K, it's a Tank Buster, pure and simple?

So... on the principles of a) Keep it as simple as we can without losing
the essential flavour, and b) WH40K is Holy Writ when it comes to
deciding stats, from your evidence I now think that the Tarantula and
Rapier should remain with the same stats as the generic "support
weapon".

Perhaps the E41K stats could be ammended accordingly. I have a lot of
sympathy with the posts on this newsgroup regarding the benefits of
abstraction and simplification. It's just that making a Thudd Gun an AT
shot, while an Ork Big Gun is FP2 and Artillery, just doesn't seem
right. They should have identical stats, one way or another.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo