[Epic] Codex Eldar Swooping Hawks

From: Sauron Moridor <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 03:33:30 -0500

Sauron1 writes; I have just returned from that long journey to my record va=
ults in the lower dungeons. ( Boy after the second millennium thats a long =
flight of stairs ) In my campaign the Eldar player asked why he did not hav=
e Drop troops as the SM,s do. I remembered they use to have and found the f=
ollowing in Codex Titanicus.

    The Swooping Hawks { Eldar FIAN SILSPEIRA=
IGHT } are an elite force of assault troops,specializing in troop drops to =
secure an area for other Eldar forces or to mount a devastating surprise at=
tack.

    Swooping hawks are ferried from the craft world to a planets atm=
osphere in specially designed craft known as" RILLISLIDDIAN" ( Shooting Sta=
r ). These are not technically drop-ships,for they do not land on the plane=
tertary surface. Instead, they enter the the atmosphere briefly, and the th=
e troops they carry freefall to the surface, using their jump packs to slow=
 and control their descent. The troop carriers then return to the craft wor=
ld.

    Swooping Hawks are not setup on the table at the start of the gam=
e: they are assumed to be plummeting through the the atmosphere in their tr=
oop carrying ships. They enter play using the same drop pod procedure as La=
nding Pods'

    Enemy units may snap fire on dropping stands in the order =
phase if they have first fire orders. These attacks are worked out in the s=
ame way as normal snap fire attacks made during the movement phase, with th=
e range being made to the point where the Eldar stand landed.

    Swoo=
ping Hawks must be given charge orders on the the turn that they land, and =
may move up to 16 cm using their jump packs. On the first turn they don't h=
ave to worry about formation restrictions- but from their second turn on th=
e table, the normal formation restrictions apply.

    All Swooping Hawks s=
tands are equipped with Jump Packs. Stands equipped with them have a charge=
 rate move of 16cm, and may move over difficult and dangerous terrain witho=
ut making dangerous terrain tests.

    Comments? =
                          sauron1

picture