Re: [Epic] New Eldar Minis & WD

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:47:08 -0500

Scott Shupe wrote:
> Of all the old armies, the eldar probably had the best looking range
> of vehicles (the falcon was ugly, but that was it). Now half the range
> looks great and the other half just looks stupid.

I'd have to see some of the new ones "in person". I've only seen
them on the GW web site, which has pictures of all the Eldar and
Tyranid miniatures. I like 'em OK. But I regret the drastic change,
too. I'll use some of the old alongside some of the new (though the
old Wave Serpents don't look like troop carriers), but they don't really
match very well. And I'd still like the prism cannon to be different
than the firestorm, and to have a use for the Warp Hunter, which I
don't think is big enough to be the disruption EoV.

> As for White Dwarf, is anyone actually buying this every month
> regardless of whether or not it has new rules pertaining to the games/
> armies you play? If so, why? I stopped when the ad count started to
> get ridiculously high and the majority of the articles turned into
> pure padding. This is the first WD I've bought in a while, and it's
> only gotten worse. For pete's sake, they used full 2-page spreads
> just for some of the article titles. Yeesh.

I was worried that they were going to tempt me to get these with
new Epic releases, but I haven't gotten any recently. I'm not a
fan of the fate cards, anyway, and I didn't get the Empire ones
when they came out, and I'm not planning to get the new ones. I'm
not excited about hearing GW's tactics, or to see the armies designed
by GW staff. The morale counter wasn't enough to whet my appetite.
OK, I'd like to look at the pictures once or twice, but not buy them.

They did get me with 2 Citadel Journals, though. I thought the
Knights and Squats were going to be in the same issue, so I got
the first one (with Squats and the infantry-behind-tanks rule).
Then I saw that Knights were in it, and got that one, too. I hope
they won't put anything else out here--this is the only GW thing
I buy non-discounted ('cause you can't get it that way). I know I
could find the rules on the net, but they're current, and I felt I
had to give GW the credit and cash for their work. (I wonder if
I could cut out the sections I want and sell the rest of the two
journals for $5?)

andy

--
Andy Skinner