[Epic] New Eldar Minis & WD

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:42:59 -0500

So I broke down the other day and bought my first issue of WD in some
time (#215? to get the race-specific Fate cards). Boy, and I glad I
stopped shelling out $5 a month for that rag a long time ago.

        Anyway, along with the fate cards they have plenty of pics
of the new Eldar & 'nid minis. The Tyranid ones are nice - of course
the vast majority of them are the same as the old SM/TL minis with
some variant arms/heads/whatnot added. The Eldar figs, on the other
hand.... bleh.

        I, for one, thought it was a shame that GW felt the need
to radically redesign the Falcon & Wave Serpent, but on the other
hand, the new models looked really good. However, the sculptors went
WAY overboard with the whole 'winged' motif. Every single vehicle
looks like the falcon, slightly modified, and that just doesn't work
for some of them. Especially the Engines of Vaul. The old Tempest,
Doom Weaver, and Prism Cannon models would have looked perfectly fine
in the new Eldar line with the addition of a little detail. In fact,
they would have looked better than their replacements. Oh well.

        BUT none of that compares with the supreme lack of imagination
evident in the Eldar flyers. Why did they change the Nightwing? I
was hardly in love with the old model, but at least it looked
interesting and eldar-ish. More importantly, why did they make all
3 flyers look almost exactly the same? (size differences aside) I
was hoping for a lot more with the Pheonix and Vampire. Oh well again.
Of all the old armies, the eldar probably had the best looking range
of vehicles (the falcon was ugly, but that was it). Now half the range
looks great and the other half just looks stupid.

        As for White Dwarf, is anyone actually buying this every month
regardless of whether or not it has new rules pertaining to the games/
armies you play? If so, why? I stopped when the ad count started to
get ridiculously high and the majority of the articles turned into
pure padding. This is the first WD I've bought in a while, and it's
only gotten worse. For pete's sake, they used full 2-page spreads
just for some of the article titles. Yeesh.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right
sometimes." - W. Churchill