Re: [Epic] skimmers and avoiding getting shot

From: Alex <page_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:50:33 -0800

At 09:05 AM 11/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Neil R. Thomason wrote:
>
>> >Just picture a group of tanks who have been ordered to
>> >wait and return fire if any falcons pop-up from behind "that building."
>> >If the Falcons don't pop up, the tanks don't fire.
>>
>> Okay.� As an Eldar player, I actually like that idea:� "If the Falcons
don't
>> pop up, the tanks don't fire."
>>
>> Assume that in a shooting phase of a Marine vs. Eldar battle, the Marines
>> get to shoot first.� Alternating fire detachment by detachment, a group of
>> Land Raiders keeps passing until the very end of the phase; all the Marine
>> detachments have fired or elected to pass, and the Eldar player only has a
>> single group of Falcons left to pop-up.� Since the Eldar is going second,
>> once he's finished firing, the phase ends (apart from war engines).�
Suppose
>> the Eldar elects not to fire with the Falcons AT ALL.� Phase over; the Land
>> Raiders can't fire.� They're not war engines, so they can't fire in that
>> part of the phase - but the Scorpion Engines hiding behind the next hill
>> certainly can!
>
>Sorry, you misunderstand. When you have the initiative they can elect to
wait.
>You still get to fire, even if the Falcons don't. Now, if you have the
>initiative, you can wait with your detachments until he fires. You cannot
wait
>on empty turns (Someone has to shoot 1 detachment, one player cannot shoot a
>detachment while the other guy saves up his detachments for the end. A guy
could
>take an all skimmer army and decimate people if they could do that)
>
>It's like, you can shoot with whatever detachment you want, so you shoot with
>the guardian/ exarch detachment. He shoots with his land raiders (Because he
>doesn't see the skimmers waiting behind the hill) and then you start over.
Now,
>because the people the skimmers are ambushing the LR's, and the LR's have
shot,
>then it is safe for the skimmers to shoot, even though there is a bunch of
>pred's and razorbacks left. Why? Because the only other detachment you
have is
>another group of skimmers, and they have to wait for the pred's and razors to
>shoot.
>
>If you want to wait, then make a leadership test, if you pass, you skip your
>shot and add it to the end of the turn. If you fail, you shoot then (or maybe
>run away)
>
>Tyler

Your rules seem ok but what if you declared that the LRs will fire at the
skimmers, if the skimmers pop-up then the LRs get to fire, but if they
dont they spend all there time waiting for them to pop-up. This makes it
risky to pass in the shooting phase but seems somewhat equal.

Suggestions? Flames?

Alex