Re: [Epic] skimmers and avoiding getting shot

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:53:44 -0500

Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister wrote:

> Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...> came forth and spoke thusly:
> ><snip arguements>
> >
> >Allright, here it is folks. In the books, when it says a detachment may chose
> >pass, that detachment losses that turn. There is no waiting. The only waiting
> >that you are allowed to do is fire with other detachments, saving skimmers (and
> >the counter attack for the skimmers) as your last shots of the round. But you
> >can't wait all turn for him to fire, and then fire all your guys, because
> >skimmers can abuse that too much.

Well, the word pass is in the books, but it means wait. Oh well, can't be right any
of the time (I've been mis-quoting all week)

> >The only time you can get someone to move before you is in the movement phase
> >when you have iniative.
> How about in the Assault Phase? And can you say "Right, this det is
> shooting, oh dear, they're 300cm away from everthing, OK your turn". --
> MDMc

  Assault phase rules state whatever they state, they're fairly clear. You want to
close the gap because that gives you the ability to decide FF of CC. Of course,
since you have to move 5 cm in the Assault phase, and you never have to shoot or
move in any other phase, then I say you move in order of initiative. This reflects
the commander yelling charge in the movement phase and not being able to say halfway
through the charge "Allright, slow down a second, wait for them to move"

As for 300cm away, yes, you can use them to shoot. I say it the way it is to prevent
this.

LR vs. Skimmers. LR's are 3 detachments, Skimmers 1 big one. LR shoot. Skimmers
pass, LR 2 shoots, Skimmers pass, LR 3 shoots, skimmers shoot, no one to respond to
the skimmers attack.

OR

Skimmers vs. LR's. LR has 3 detachments, Skimmers 3. Skimmers shoot, LR passes,
Skimmers shoot, LR passes, Skimmers shoot, all three LR's then shoot at all the
skimmers. This isn't as bad because the skimmers get to blast away at the LR before
they shoot, but in the end all their skimmers are open to all the LR's.

It should be 1 for 1, one detachment shoots, enemy detachment shoot. The order in
which your detachments fire is up to you. A pass, if you want to pass, is a pass,
not a wait. Anyway, that's just how I see the rules remaining fair. Sure, you can't
exploit stupid opponents as much as some other rules, but it's simpler then double
pass, and triple pass if standing on head rules

Tyler