Re: [Epic] New to Epic Scale - Help, please

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:15:25 -0800

Pat Connaughton wrote:

> I recently aquired a large (I thought) collection of
> Space Marine figures. Unpainted Orks, Squats, Eldar and
> Space Marines.

OK, here's some info:

There are 3 varieties of Epic:

Space Marine (1st edition) and Codex Titanicus - which only dinosaurs
play (Hi, Sauron !). Rules are very very hard to get.

Space Marine (2nd edition) and Titan Legions - these are almost
certainly what you have. When people say "Space Marine" this is what
they usually mean. The appropriate stats are in:

Space Marine (2nd ed)

Armies of the Imperium - The Space Marines and Imperial Guard

Warlords - Squats and Orks

Renegades - Eldar and Chaos

A variety of White Dwarfs for a few units issues after the above boxed
sets came out

Space Marine Battles - a compendium of some of the aformentioned WDs

Hive War - Tyrannids

All except the Tyrannids are included in "Titan Legions", which
basically has the stats for everything, plus models of an Imperator, 2
MegaGargants, some Knights and Ork Battlewagons.

OK, that's it for SM2.. a lot of people still play it. Personally I
think if they had a few more games of E40K then they'd change their
minds, but maybe not. I used to really like SM2, but now the tactical
subtelties in E40K make SM2 look a bit ... unsophisticated. But I
digress.

Epic 40,000 (E40K) came out about a year ago. This is a completely new
set of rules, and is more similar to SM1 than SM2. Unlike the others,
it's easy to get (just expensive...). Alas, many of the units in SM2
were amlagamated with other similar units, and the result is a bit
simplistic. Two whole armies (Squats and Knights) were omitted
altogether. Which even I feel is doubleplus ungood. Many people have
stuck with SM2 as the result of their Squat or Knight army being
omitted.

BUT... there is a way of getting the best of both worlds. JM Looney has
a page with all the Imperial and Orks stuff that got omitted (Chaos and
Eldar sometime next year), and there exist Army Lists for Knights and
Squats (from the GW publication 'Citadel Journal') on the web. URLs
available on request.

Hope this helps.
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo