Re: [Epic] Dire Avenger/Fire Dragon/Shining Spear Aspect Warriors

From: Dirk Vormann <DVormann_at_...-duisburg.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:07:35 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Dirk Vormann <DVormann_at_...-duisburg.de> writes:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, John Chapman wrote:
> > Fire Dragon:
> >
> > A shorter range is sensible, but not possible. Still FP is increased. Also
> > add the Close Support ability.
>
> A neat idea, but what reason did you pick this for? IIRC,
> their weapons are just melta-guns. If anything, they seem like AT
> shots.

Why CS and not AT? Simple. I wanted a difference to Wraithguards.

> > Shining Spear:
> >
> > Tricky one this.
> >
> > Start with basic (Harlequin) Jet bike (15Pts) Profile.
> > Allow Psyker (+10) and/or Exarch (assault, +1).
> >
> > Now some *ideas* concerning characters riding Vypers.
> >
> > You could allow a Warlock (Psyker,+10 Pts, works fine) or an Exarch
> > (Assault) on a Vyper. The Problem is that the cost would have to be
> > REDUCED for the Exarch.
>
> > It seems best to increase the AV of a Vyper for an Exarch but to leave the
> > Range unchanged. (+2 Pts)
>
> It seems to me that in WH40k, whenever I hear about an Exarch
> on a bike, they look a lot like Dark Reaper Exarchs. Some sort of big
> gun, since CC ability doesn't do much, and there are better ways to
> gain mobility. Maybe the Vyper w/ Exarch should have Heavy Weapons?

Exarchs on bikes do NOT always have heavy weapons.

> I forget what a SS Exarch is armed with. I wish Exarchs were
> more expensive and granted "Hero", it would make things simpler.

There is no special Shining Spear Exarch equipment. You just buy a bike
and anything you want from the equipment list. A Banshee Mask, Jet bike
and executioner are a little beardy, but the Exarch kills anything with
hit and runs.
So I felt assault being justified.