Re: [Epic] Q&A 5 (Answered!)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:23:02 -0500

> Andy Chambers Says: The point here is that IG players are looking at
> infantry without considering the tanks and other support. If you want to
> invent an "Infantry Company" detachment with HQ costs as stated (32, 7, 7)
> but only infantry and heavy weapons (no Rough Riders, Chimeras, etc), that
> would be fine. In fact, if you wanted to invent such a company, play test
> it, and then send it in to Jervis, I'd be more than happy to consider it
> for publication in the CJ or even WD.
>
> *
>
> Well, there you have it. The guard command costs still make no sense to
> me. I've a feeling that perhaps the point of my argument has been missed,
> but I don't know how to state it any clearer. Units should be priced so that
> equal points of one force (Guard) should perform on par with equal points
> of another force trying to fulfill the same roll. In our current discussion,
> I would argue that Cavalry and Mechanized Infantry (ie. those with Rough
> Riders and Chimeras) are *exactly* the detachments that should be increased
> in size without paying surcharges for extra commanders. (Though the answer
> to question 4 helps the Rough Riders some.)
>
> Oh well, put your thinking caps on. I for one, look forward to seeing the
> WD which includes the IG battle report that is sure to follow the new IG sprue.
> I'd like to see how the game designers envision the proper design of an IG
> army.

I think I understand Andy's point, although some might scratch their heads. I think
the designers discarded the idea of Imperial Guard as the common infantry in Epic
40K, and instead use Marines as their troops, since they can be taken as one army.
I think in E40K the idea is that IG is a tank army, and you chose the infantry as
back-up for tanks and maybe other purposes, while all major infantry concerns being
the domain of the SM. I think everybody should stop thinking of IG as an individual
army because they were in WH40K. It would be like playing with only Ork Warbands,
and wondering why they have such crappy tank support. Oh well, that's what I see.

You know, some of those answers really don't follow with the usual WD "play nice"
mentality they usually shove down our throats. Some of the questions made me say to
myself "Did he consider the answer, or just say yes?" Anybody else have that
feeling.

Tyler