Re: [Epic] Correct Infantry Comparsions

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 09:12:33 -0500

Sean Smith wrote:

> Please dump my previous message containing infantry
> comparsions and replace with the one below.
>
> COMPARSIONS OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF INFANTRY AND THEIR SUPPORTS

> CHAOS MARINES & CULTISTS
>
> Fire Power Assault Armour Range Movement #
> (per point) (per point)
>
> Marines
> Normal Fire 0.07 0.20 4+ 30cm 10cm 1

        Chaos Marines have 5+ armor, not 4+.

> CHAOS DAEMONS
> Fire Power Assault Armour Range Movement #
> (per point) (per point)
>
> Bloodthirster n/a 0.21 6+ n/a 15cm 0.50

        The 'thirster's movement is 25cm, not 15cm.

> Note - Cultists are really only useful for their firepower and to act as
> screen for other units. Because they have the same fire power as
> marines overwatch when moving normally, they can advance and
> provide covering fire at the sametime.

        But their poor armor means you generally want to keep them
away from the enemy. Their AV of 3 and AF of 1 generally means
that they evaporate as soon as the enemy notices them. Plus, the
strange detachment structure limits their overall usefullness.

> Beastmen with champions are
> excellent assault troops, only being bettered by the bloodletters.

        But slower and not as tough. OTOH, you can stick them in
Chimeras...

> Chaos marines are very similar to normal marines. Personally I would
> weight a Chaos army more in favour of daemons, cultists and beastmen.
> Only using marines for roles that can't be carried out by daemons,
> cultists or beastmen, such as drop pods and getting around the
> flanks using bikes.

        Or having long range infantry. Or for getting mobile AT
shots. Or for having mobile troops that can actually fight off the
enemy. The marines are the meat of the army; the only task they
are not very good at is assault (and they're not bad at it, they're
just not as good as other elements of the army) - so use daemons
and beastmen there. The cultists are fairly worthless. Sure, you
can get 2 or 3 for every marine, but they are lacking in a number
of key areas, such as mobility, long range guns, and the ability to
survive enemy assaults.

> TYRANIDS

> Note - The beauty of the Tryanid brood is that they can create great assault
> detachments. The problem with the Tryanids is they lack long
> range fire power. Which means that Tryanids will face lots
> heavy weapon troops and anti-tank weapon fire.

        Biovores. 60cm? range, artillery, disrupt, can be dropped
in pods or transported. Good for nullifying those heavy weapon
guys and AT platforms.

> Also they don't have
> jump packs or cavalry, so they will take longer to reach the enemy,
> hereby giving the enemy more time to shot at them.

        Most of the 'nid infantry has higher-than-normal movement
rates. When you combine that with the low cost of the assault
troops and their ability to pass Ld tests, the extra turn that it
takes for them to reach the other side of the board doesn't amount
to a whole lot.

> Tryanid players
> need to make the best use of cover possible and try and take out the
> enemy artillery and anti-tank weapons, once this has been done the
> termagents can act as screen for the rest of the brood, when
> advancing across open ground. Tryanids should use artillery, flyers
> and mycetic spores to destroy enemy anti-tank weapons and artillery.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music." -
Groucho Marx