[Epic] Re: wirecutter

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 11:54:00 -0500

Chris Salvato wrote:

> I'm going to be constructing my own hot wire foam cutter, but I need a
> little information and the net is a bit scarce. Specifically, I'd like to
> use a wall socket to power the thing and use the thicker variety of
> NiChrome wire which I found at a local hobby store, but I'm not exactly
> sure how to control the power going into it to make sure I don't blow a
> circuit breaker or set myself on fire. can anybody suggest some
> technical-sounding stuff I should look for at my local Radio Shack that
> could do the trick? I imagine a variable resistor of some sort would allow
> me to fine-tune the amount of current going through it, but just what kind
> of animal should I be looking for?
>
> Please respond to me personally, I don;t think this post is really on-topic...

Off topic or not, I'll respond here.

I really don't think you ought to try to make one powered at the plug.
That seems to me to be really too dangerous, and not worth doing for
a hobby. Batteries give plenty of power, and you don't have to worry
about the cord getting in the way. (I have often started cutting and
realized I had intended to switch where my holding hand was, and that
I couldn't do that because the weight of the foam while I was moving
my hand would mess up the cut. So freedom of movement is important.)

I suppose if you do want to make it plug powered, you'd need to find
out whether an AC/DC transformer would put out a safe amount of
current. I've wondered whether those can in general replace batteries
(in a slot race car set, for example), but don't know whether they're
safe for that. I know I can get one to match the volts of the
batteries, but what will the amperage be? If you find out that one
of these transformers can produce current at the same safe level of
batteries, I guess it would be OK. But I'd encourage you to not
try to home-build something unless you really know what you're doing.
Think of how annoying it would be to all of us list members when
your email starts bouncing because you fill up your mail spool,
because you can't read email, because you're dead. You wouldn't
do that to us, would you?

andy

--
Andy Skinner