Re: [Epic] Scale (was Re: old Andy C or Jervis message about E40K)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 03:46:24 -0600

Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister wrote:

> "Larry \"Liquid\" Plummer" <liquid_at_...> came forth and spoke
> thusly:
> >Just a question from a curious mind for the list to ponder...
> >
> >Has anyone ever undertaken the task of making Thunderhawks, Leviathans, and
> >Landraiders to the actual proporsional scale they need to visually be able
> >to realistically transport the amount of units/equipment their specs say
> >they can?
>
> Or in fact, Rhinos, Land Raiders, Wave Serpents, Falcons, Chimeras...
> one thing I noticed is that all the troops would fit in, IF they were
> all lying down.

As many of you know, I came into Epic from Micro Armor games, which
gives me a some what _odd_ view of the game.

Epic scale vehicles are HUGE, assuming that they are in fact 1:300 (6
mm) scale. Put a Rhino up against a 1:285 scale M113 , Sdkfz 251/1 or a
BTR-60 some time. All of these are know to carry from 11 to 14 troops
in the real world. You can assume that GHQ micro armor models are 100%
accurate when it comes to figure scale. The GW stuff dwarfs them.
This after noon, when I am not simulating work, I will get out my wife's
jewelry calipers and measure some Epic figures and reverse engineer the
"real" size of the various APC's in epic into "real world" sizes.

While I am at it I will post the "real world" size and the "Epic Scale"
sizes of some modern and WWII tanks and APCs
--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus