Re: [Epic] Capitol Imp.

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:48:18 -0600

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> First, a few comments. I know that in 1st edition the CI was a marine
> vehicle, but I really think it makes more sense as an IG vehicle.
> The big, lumbering assault vehicle just doesn't fit the blitzkrieg
> mentality of the current Marine doctrine.

Current Marine doctrine? Move in, then go on over watch? Sound like the CI
would be PERFECT for that.....

> Second, I think that it should have a special rule that allows it to
> transport vehicles as well as infantry, with vehicles taking up
> two transport slots. I know that there is a big difference between
> the size of a sentinel and a Leman Russ, but unless we go about
> defining a "transport cost" for every piece in the game this is probably
> the type of simplification we will have to live with.

As it so happens that thought HAD crossed my mind. ("transport cost" that
is)

> How big should its transport capability be? I think it should be
> capable of holding a full IG infantry detachment. That's 18 stands
> plus three HQ stands (two of which you paid through the nose for)
> for a total of 21. 21 is a weird number. Call it 24 and you have
> room for a couple of scout squads. This allows it to carry the
> material it should for its mission, and also allows you to lose
> one heap of points from a single vertex missle.....

A "maxed out" IG infantry detachment would be 3 HQ, 18 grunts, and 27 heavy
weapon units (support weapons) I read that as 48 stands.

> Weapons outload? I don't think it should have as much armament as
> a warlord, so I'll go for three fixed weapon "slots." A Megacannon
> and a Heavy Barrage will help its troops in assault, and add a standard
> 8 FP. The big guns are both chosen to aid assaults.
>
> The vehicle begins to look like this:
>
> Capitol Imperialis
>
> Move: 15 cm (surprising how fast this makes a WE)
> Armor: 6
> Shields: 6
> DC: 12
> Transport: 24

I would make that 48, to be able to really carry a "full" detachment

> Notes: Vehicles may be carried for two transport slots

I would make that 4 or 6 transport slots, as, if you recall, the general
list opinion is that 5 termies takes up 2 slots, and I think that even the
smallest AFV is bigger than 5 grunts, regardless of what armor they are
wearing. How about this:

Bikes or cav 2 slots
Attack Bikes 3 slots
APC 4 slots
Tank 6 slots
Land Raider 8 slots (given that is is a APC and a tank...)
SHev Tank 12 slots

Yes that means a T-hawk would be able to hump a tank in to battle. This is
not as off the wall as it sounds They did make and use airborne tanks in
W.W.II, for what is worth, that were carried in to combat in gliders. Not
really worth it, most of the time, was the basic thought on them. The
American 82nd airborne still has (or at least did as of Desert Storm) a
battalion of air "drop-able" tanks (granted the Sheridan sucks, but is IS a
tank, of sorts).

> Weapons:
> Mega Cannon (Front)
> Heavy Barrage (Front)
> 8 FP (All round)

> Note, I've learned to hate WE's with the Artillary ability, so haven't
> given it here. The CI should be assaulting anyway, not lurking
> behind cover.)

Ok, lets talk some ranges here also.

> Critical Chart: Use the Leviathon with minor changes to distribute
> the weapon hits.

general note:
This is going to cost some REAL serious points...