Re: [Epic] Orks hitching a ride

From: Alun Gallie <gallie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:50:25 +0930

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Billen <billenc_at_...>
To: space-marine_at_... <space-marine@...>
Date: Friday, December 12, 1997 2:26 AM
Subject: [Epic] Orks hitching a ride

>I've got a couple of questions about the 'Orks hitching a ride' rule :
>
>a) Are Speedstas, Flakwagons and Squiggoths considered Battlewagons for
>hitching rides ? (As in being able to transport 1 Ork stand)

No. "Ork infantry units can hitch a lift on battlewagons and Battle
Fortresses by hanging on to the outside of the vehicle" Pg 15 Rulebook.

>b) Can only infantry units hitch a ride or are Big Guns also allowed to be
>transported ? (They would be towed instead)

BigGunnz are infantry. Everything that appears in the infantry table on page
48 of the Armies book is classed as infantry.

>c) Does an infantry unit have to dismount at the end of a phase or can they
stay mounted during several phases ?
Yes, thay are simply picked up and dropped off as the vehicle makes its
move. Pg15 RB

>d) When a transport with Orks hitching a ride on it, is shot at and
>destroyed, are the hitchers also destroyed (ouch...), or are the hitchers
destroyed instead (gimme more Gretchins...), or is this resolved like units
being transported inside vehicles ?
As they are always dropped off at the end of the movement phase they are not
actually on the battlewagons in the shooting phase so it doesn't matter. The
only time they can be caught by fire is snapfire or aircraft in the movement
phase. For aircraft as the vehicle target (BW) either hasn't started to move
or hasn't finished moving then technically the orcs having grapped on for a
lift yet or have already dropped off. As for snapfire, don't put yourself in
that situation ! But if you do would suggest treating as troops in transport
ie. roll 4+ Save

>e) When an infantry unit is dismounted during the assault phase, does it
still have to move 5cm towards the enemy ? ('cause dismounted units are not
allowed to move...)
 The unit would have dismounted at the end of movement so is free to move in
the assualt phase, if it decides to catch a lift again in the assualt phase
then as long as the BW moves 5cm towards the enemy so will of the Orcs so
they will have satisfied the requirement. I.E the position the orcs finish
the assualt phase after dimounting will be at least 5cm closer to the enemy
than that position in which they started the assualt phase.
>f) Can an infantry stand be dismounted and placed into close combat ?
No reason why not.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Alun