Re: [Epic] Warlock Titan weapons

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:44:21 -0500

> From: duckrvr_at_...
>
> So let's look at how effective the powerfist is when (not if) you win . . .
[breakdown of effectiveness snipped]

> Just shy of a 2/3 chance of outright destruction is hardly Orky. And when
> you add the possibility of normal damage destroying the titan, t becomes
> darn close to 2/3 (17/27, if you go for the reactor and I calculated
> correctly, plus another small chance that the reactor will blow at the end
> of the turn). Considering that just this weekend I had a Reaver titan
> outfitted for close combat (chainfist, cc head, and chaos whip) in hth with
> a warhound for two complete turns and did no more than force it to make
> repair rolls, I think that the powerfist is not so horrible.

        2/3 chance of destruction and almost a 1/3 of doing nothing.
It's the doing nothing that's the problem - personally I'll take the
+2 damage bonus the Chain Fist gives (along with the extra D6 in CC,
which is useful against everyone, not just titans) over the powerfist's
2/3 chance of actually being useful.

        The chainfist's +2 bouns on damage rolls means that, if
I remember the head damage tables correctly, you have a 2/3 chance
of destroying the titan and a 1/3 chance that the titan's CAF is
halved for the rest of the game. Not only are those chances
better than the powerfist, you get the extra D6 CAF to boot. No
comparison.

        And what if your opponent doesn't take any titans at all?
the powerfist is really a waste then (the eldar one less so than the
imperial one, but still a waste).

> If you're
> making a titan hunter, it's a pretty good deal, as is the laser burner.
>
> Does anyone else think the laser burner should at least get a few 15 or 25cm
> shots?

        Yeah, but then I think most only-works-against-titans weapons
are fairly useless unless you know you're going to be facing some.

Scott
shupes_at_...