Re: [Epic] Flyers are Vehicles too ... Revisited and Revised

From: C.Sinclair <csi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:20:05 +0000

At 09:21 PM 12/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
<truly humungous snip>

> Unit Speed Range Firepower Assault Armor Notes Points
>Marauder 45 30 5 2 5+ 35 (45)
>Thunderbolt 40 15 2 4 5+ 30 (30)
>Thunderhawk 35 30 8 3 6+ Tran(6) 82 (80)
>Fighta-Bommerz 40 15 Barrage 4 5+ 31 (30)
>Night Wing 55 15 2 4 5+ 35 + 6 (40)
>Phoenix 50 30 6 2 5+ 44 + 6 (50)
>Vampire 40 30 6 2 5+ Tran(4) 54 + 6 (60)
>Harridan 45 30 6 6 5+ 55 - 5 (50)
>Gargoyles 50 15 1 1 3+ 13 (16)

<snip again>

>Notes:
>- Yes, Flyers can snap-fire each other and it does cause the Flyer to
> stop it's movement, snap-fire range is 15 cm.
>- Flyers are always "off-ground" and therefore can't be assaulted by
> ground troops.
>- Non-flyers can't shoot at flyers except Flak.
>- Flyers cannot shoot at each other.
>- The 5 cm requirement for movement must be met by using forward flight
> not by turning around in circles.
>
>Qualms:
>I couldn't decide to whether or not to let "normal" units fire at Flyers
>with half FP and snap-fire. So, the rules right now, hopefully, stress
>more powerful flak units and the need to use interceptors.
>
>Comments?

I think if you are not going to allow non-flyers to shoot at flyers, the PV
of all these units needs to be revised upwards. I realise that under the
standard E40K rules non-flak only gets a snap-fire shot (and it's a cold day
on a Daemon World when that happens), but they still get the shot. In
addition the current rules the flyers can only operate every other turn
(limiting their effectiveness). I have nothing against a better treatment
of flyers in the game, but I believe (honestly!) that the rules were
balanced by not allowing anything but snap fire but also by making flyers
take a turn out. I suspect (and I've done no playtesting either) that your
flyer rules will make flyers considerably more powerful than the effect
intended for the game.

Merry Xmas!
Cheers,
Colin