Re: [Epic] Flyers are Vehicles too ... Revisited and Revised

From: Andrew Nguyen <a2nguyen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 00:41:22 -0800

> Hmmm the mere fact that youve written these rules would seem to indicate
> that you dont like the way that flyers work in E40k. Unfortunately I never
>really liked the SM2 flyer rules (the flyers too often ended up doing
>laps back and forwards). Considering the speed that aircraft usually fly at
>(ok we're entering the dangerous world of comparing GW to reality) - at least
>today - the idea of ground attack aircraft doing doughnuts is a little
>ridiculous. The change to flyers was one of the better things about E40k -
>but heck thats only my opinion. Sorry I wasnt really being constructive here
>I was just surprised that you didnt seem to like the current rules. Ok theyre
>imperfect but theyre a good start (even if they do make flyers differ a bit
>from other vehicles).
> JAC

I actually like the rules, insofar as modern or near-future flyers are concerned--
heck I like them period. The only reason I wrote these new rules is because
it was very disturbing to me that the flyers should be the "weird" units that
disobeyed all laws. In the same way Physicists seek the GUT (Grand Unified Theory)
I sought for generality and simplicity in the Epic 40k rules.

I agree that my rules are a little unrealistic in modern terms so here is a possible
justification from the "Fluff", and if that isn't an invitation for off-topic

"With their unequaled grasp of anti-gravitic technology, it is unsurprising that
Eldar aircraft..."(p65 Armies Book) and "Eldar vehicles... it is in their speed
and anti-gravitic motors..."(p64 Armies Book)

I think we can all assume that both Eldar vehicles and aircraft use the same
anti-gravitic motors for propulsion, but why can't my Falcon shoot across the
board the same way my vampire can? Isn't a low flying airplane the same as
a high flying skimmer? The crux of the matter is what is the difference between
Eldar vehicles and Eldar airplanes that make one able to move 30 cm and an
other to move 100 cm or more?

An argument against reloading and refueling is that if flyers need to refuel and
reload why don't whirlwinds or battlewagons need to? Flyers certainly don't
need more ammunition then other vehicles and if they needed more fuel, then
things like Gargants would need a even larger amount.

These arguments aren't really that strong, I'm sure that they're some holes
in them somewhere, but they show that there is some justification for both
a conventional flyer system (missions, across the board in a turn) and the more
generalized system that I have presented before.

In conclusion, (just in case you skimmed or something) I really don't have
difficulties with the current system on a practical basis (except for some
little problems here and there), but in the theme of Epic 40k (simple, general,
and simple) I think that a more unified approach is more fitting.

        -Donald Nguyen

"Experience - a comb life gives you after you loose your hair."
        -Judith Stern