Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 07:41:28 GMT

At 05:58 PM 9/2/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>THIS WEEKS TOPIC: MORALE
>
>First lets clean up some stuff.
>
>The -1 to hit on snap fire is in !

I'm sorry to hear that. See my other post for why.

>Flyers will be discussed later!
>
>ON TO MORALE!
>
>For a long time it has bothered me somewhat that a unit that breaks can
>hold its ground unit it is obliged to move in the following turn.
>Probably everyone has a story of losing ( and winning ) a game because a
>unit that broke still holds an objective! This doesn't to sit well with
>what ademoralized unit can do. I suggest that movement regarding broken
>units be taken immediately upon breaking. This means if your troops
>crack under the strain you dont get any free rides as far as Vp's, also
>broken units may never claim objectives by be within 15 cm of them. Of
>course this movement may happen at any phase not just the movement
>phase!

A broken unit claiming an objective as they retreat IS pretty suspect...

But... If a company breaks because your forward elements evapourated under
mountains of snap fire as they jockeyed for position and your rearmost
platoon hasn't even seen the enemy when it "breaks" it IS kind of odd that
when you get the message to stage an orderly retreat to somewhere or other
(in fact if you haven't seen the enemy, where you are is just fine...) that
you suddenly become a gibbering mob of sniveling cowards...

>Secondly, it bothers me that units away from any command unit can easily
>regroup if the morale roll is made, not that it cannot be done, but it
>should happen under stiff penalties. This also encourages proper use of
>HQ units as ralling points( as well as give them a more useful role ).

I always thought that that was what moral was all about. SM can rally
pretty much anywhere, IG Orcs and Eldar have a much harder time of it, Chaos
mostly doesn't even bother to take its 1+ moral rolls, they'll regroup in
the Warp when their mortal shell is destroyed...

>Thirdly, certain feats really need guts to accomplish. Charging a tank
>or other troop stands is what your trained for, but tackling titans ,
>super heavies, and greater deamons- I think at least some morale checks
>are in order! maybe even at a penalty.

The rules currently require moral checks if you are charged by some units,
but obviously if you charge them you have the initiators advantage and are
quite content...

Yes, it is strange...

As to titans and SHV's - if they're on the battle field, you should be
trained to deal with them. To the kill crazed whackos of 40K they are no
big deal. (I guess...)

>Fouthly, is firing at a unit that charges you a given if you have first
>fire orders? doesn't it require disipline to accomplish such a task?

Well, yeah - it does require discipline, but that is part of what being a
soldier is all about. Especially in a Gothic universe like 40K, no one
seems to care if they live or die as long as they win the battle!

Agro