Re: [Epic] Newbie goes shopping-help please!

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 22:39:20 -0700

Tim wrote:

> Hiya All
>
> I am very new to Epic 40,000 ...so new in fact that I haven't picked up the
> boxed game yet...it's on order. =) I am planning on building a Space Marine
> Army with the contents of the basic set. I already own 2 Landraiders and 8
> Land speeders. There is a big sale on GW stuff on Boxing Day at my game
> store- and I am planning to spend lots on Epic. What should I be looking to
> get to give myself a good army? What troops/vehicles should I buy? Any help
> would be welcome!
>
> Thank you
>
> Happy Christmas
>
> Tim MacPherson
> Fledgling Commander Lots of LR's and infantry; you may want to go in with an ork player to
get several starter boxes, because you can save a little money that way.
Assault troops are excellent, but really all space marines kick a__.

Get some thunderhawks for deployment and extra firepower. My normal SM
armor unit has:

1 Captain in LR
1 Librarian in LR
3-6 LRs
3 predators (to reduce the effect of blast markers)
3 vindicators (extra firepower for assaults and firefights; may be
unnecessary)
1 tactical squad for each non-command LR (they suck up hits, defend well
during assaults, and lend extra firepower at units which stray too
close.)

This seems expensive, but works well. I've yet to have one break.

I typically run assault and tactical squads in groups of six, and
devastators in groups of five with 3 tactical squads and command in LR.
Always buy a librarian for your assault troops.

Hope that helps -

Thane