Re: [Epic] painting epic scale!

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 15:35:38 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Alex Lau wrote:

> My basic problem is how do you paint epic scale figures, I'm new to epic
> but I have managed to do okay with painting the tanks but when I got to
> the space marines, I was kinda worried that I'd screw up the details.
> Would anyone have some tips as to painting the figures?

This always depends on how much time you're willing to spend on the little
guys. If you want, you can really do a lot of fancy stuff, and some of
the people on this list are really into that. But if you just want gaming
quality minis that are not too ugly :), you can basically just spray prime
the figures on the sprue, then give them a general color (the chapter that
you want) and put in some details (shoulder pads, helmets etc.) in
different colors. After that, you can drybrush it or whatever if you feel
like it. You can make a lot of figures in a hurry this way. By the way,
it's important to remember to always paint the base (and preferably flock
it too). Even if your figures are not very detailed, a nicely painted and
flocked base will make them look nice on the gaming table.

> One more point, I thought that space marine bike squads had to be arranged
> in 3's, but each box comes with 4 bikes only! does that mean I have to
> buy more boxes in order to make full squads?

No one said you *have* to base the bikes in threes. A lot of the old
players from Space Marine still have their bikes in twos on a 20cm by 20cm
square base (made of cardboard or the old epic bases). This can save you
a lot of bikes and should be fine with most other gamers. (hopefully
you're not playing in a GW shop) Also try to look in the newsgroups and
at Bartertown for old figures. Most of the Space Marine minis are the
same as the old boxes, and you can find some pretty good deals for
second-hand figures.

Even the engineers are not *this* depraved. This must be the work of the
Med students.

                                                - A friend of mine