Re: [Epic] A few questions... The sequel

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 08:57:53 -0500

> g) Cavalry is treated as vehicles for crossing terrain, but does
> gain the +1/+2 Infantry Armour Bonus for cover ?

Yes. Cavalry are only vehicles with respect to what terrain they can
cross, they are still infantry in all other respects. Now, because of
that they can't enter a lot of terrain that infantry get an armour bonus
for sitting in.

> h) Can a _unit_ split its FP between different detachments ? A Leman
A detachment can split its FP along any lines, so yes, a unit can split
its FP since a detachment can be 1 unit.

> i) What happens to infantry units when they double their move in the
> assault phase in order to charge into close combat, but they just
> reach their target ? Are they moved back to the distance as if they
> move at their normal speed ?

Yes. If you can't reach, you can't double.

> j) According to p.22, units form _another_ detachment may not add
> fire to CC/FF. Does this mean that single unit War Engines are on
> ? I always wanted to put some infantry near the Imperial SuperHeavy
> but apparently it wont help a bit... According to p.26 they are
> support the tanks if they are involved in the assault. But you need a
> considerable amount of infantry to prevent anyone from charging your
> without being decimated by Barrage fire...

If you have a supporting set of units around a war engine, the war
engine will not be involved in a firefight without the units being
involved. Moreover, assaults have to hit the closest units first, so
they would have to wade through the infantry before getting to the war
engine. It is useful - just make sure you use formations that guarantee
that your supporting troops will be involved in the firefight or close
combat.

> k) The Assault and FP values of a detachment are _not_ modified by
> this correct ? If 4 orks (4 FP) are in a FF with 4 Leman Russes (12
> but the tanks have 6 BMs, the Orks gain a +2 bonus while the tanks
> bonus, even when they are suppressed...

Right. You just use the More BMs, 5+ BMs modifiers. No other
modification. Another thing that may be non-obvious is that Marines on
overwatch do count as 2FP during the firefight phase (it changes their
FP for the turn).

> l) Retreat moves are up to 20cm, regardless of the units actual move.
> figured that retreating meant something like "Get out of here ! Run
> !", but faster moving units (like jetbikes/bikes/land speeders) would
> obviously "run away" much faster. Why isn't this possible ?

I guess there is a universal constant for running like hell, bumping
into each other, looking over your shoulder, etc. It may just be a
measure of how far you would have to be after losing a firefight/close
combat to be destroyed. i.e. no matter how fast you are, if 20cm doesn't
get you out of the 15cm range, they'll shoot you down as you turn to
flee. (?)

> m) Most Close Combat weapons have a FP of 4 and a range of 30cm.
> weapon batteries have a FP of 8 or more. Does a single BM cancel out
> weapon, as it is a SHW, or does it only cancel out a single FP ?

Only a single FP. Any weapon that has more than one FP in the FP column
needs that many BMs to suppress.

> n) Does a FP-based SHW (see m)), count as 1 BM for placing BMs, or is
> used ?

FP is used.

> o) Mega cannons place an extra BM on the target per Mega cannon
> 'attack' a succesful hit, or do you get an extra BM per Mega cannon
> template placed upon the target ?

Per mega cannon template. You miss everything, you put 1 BM on. You
hit once, you put on 1BM for 1SHW hitting and 1BM for it being a
mega-cannon. You hit 5 times, you still only put 2BMs on the target.

Regards,

- Erik