Re: [Epic] Ahhh! An Imperator!

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 20:47:19 +1300

On Wed 31 Dec, A.R.Page wrote:
> Players in my group shudder when they here the name : IMPERATOR
> In the games ive played with a Imperator it has never gone down or
> really hurt. How does one go about killing this horrid machine?
> Getting into CC is tough and shooting it seems doubtful... any
> suggestions or methods you have found to destroy this meanace?

I used an Imperator in a game and my Eldar oppent managed to destroy it.
He used to 2 war engines of vaul, 2 revants, 4 support platforms and
aircraft. I can't remember how many aircraft, I think it was 12.

First the aircraft swooped in and removed some of the Imperators shields,
the support platforms removed its remaining shields. Then since he
won intiative in the warengines shooting phase, his revants fired,
then the imperator killed a revant and 2 support platforms and some
other his troops. Finally the Warengines of Vaul pop up and shot at
the Imperator. The warengines of Vaul caused the shield dome of the
Imperator to fracture, which meant its shields could only be repaired
on a 6+. It took three turns to kill the Imperator. If remember
correctly, it was the Eldar aircraft that delivered the killing blow.

The imperator was killed because I advanced it unsupported. I should
have had the other troops in front of the Imperator. However my
oppent very skillfully used swooping hawks as drop troops and jet bikes
to threaten my objectives. Which meant I had to decided between supporting
the Imperator or losing the objectives. I lost the gamble that the
Imperator could win the shootout without support. I did however
roll badly for shooting with the Imperator

The Terrain of the battle:

                                 ffh1hff
                      bb bb ffhhhff
                      b3 b3 ffffffff
                  2
                   bb bb
                   bb bb
                                      rr rrrrrrrrrr
                   bb x bb r
                              5 r
                   bb bb r 6
             5 bb bb r
      hhhh bb bb r
        hhhhh r
    ffffff r
    ff4fff r

 x=imperators position
 1=WE of vaul
 2= revants
 3= support platforms
 4= were swooping hawks dropped on objective
 5= two detachments of space marines with land raiders for support
 6=jet bikes

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...