RE: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings -Reply

From: <CLL_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:32:53 +0000

Now as far as the EPIC IG doing a planetary landing - the recent
Starship troopers would seem to be a pretty good palce to start. Think of it
as a D D ay (Overlord) assault - some kind of landing vehicle for the
infantry, specialized armor (Leman Russ with retro rockets, 1 on a
D6 & they auger in (drop model from 45 cm & watch it bounce?) and
maybe some IG assault squads that paracute in. Coupla oribital
bombardment
"fate" cards -

In the rules all armies can take drop pods, of course this will get your
infantry down, heavy armour is more of a problem. No mechanisim exists
within the game to land heavy armour (apart from the WD article about
Thunderhawks carryinging disassembled LR's etc.
  In the old fluff, following the Horus Heresy, Imperial forces were
reorganised so that Imperial Guard and Titan legions did not have their own
interstellar transport - they had to rely on the Navy. Only the Marines with
their much smaller chapters had their own transport capability. (see Sauron's
E30K project for pre Heresy Marine organisation).
  For myself I assume that IG do not do Planetary Assaults, unless thay
nuke (or destroy with conventional weapons) the site from orbit and then
use massive landers to deliver equipment to the surface.
  The old Spacefleet game suggested that Navy Transport ships had plenty
of room aboard for Guard units (including Rough Riders) to train.
  I have a converted Ground Zero Games 1/300 Dropship which is big
enough to drop an entire company of Marines, and could carry a pair of
Warhounds if neccesary. I'm sure this could be used as an acceptable Imperial
Navy lander.
  Historically an opposed seabourne or airbourne assault is one of the most
difficult military operations to successfully carry out. I would imagine that a
space to surface operation would be even more difficult. One of Harry
Harrison's Stinless Steel Rat books covered this (Rat's Revenge ?).

Krass