Re: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:47:03 -0800

Logistics--again..slightly off topic post

Michael P. Lepisto wrote:

> of aircraft. Also the heavy divisions are able to sustain operations
> longer without resupply than light divisions.
> -Mike

   I kind of have to disagree with this, having some familiarity
witthesubject. Light divisions require substantially less logistical
support as heavy divisions and are able to sustain themselves in te
field for as long if not longer than their heavy brothers. Of course, so
many factors go into the equation, not the least of which are terrain,
cliimate and enemy resistance and mission.

As an aside, Ameriacan and British infantry, in general suffer, from a
disease known as "heavy Ruck-itis". The common belief being that you
have to carry a hundred pounds of gear to cover every possible
contingency in the vent you won't get resupplied. This degrades
manueverability and effectiveness in combat, no matter how studly your
troops are.

What we started to see at the JRTC (Joint Readiness Training Center--the
light infantry cousin to the NTC at Ft Polk), is that the most
successful battalions were the ones that mercilessly limited what
soldiers were carrying ontheir backs. Several battalions have actually
forvbidden rucks all together and had the soldiers survive with
buttpacks and webgear. Thye put greater emphasis on a company-level
logistics teams taht actually work. These units have been invariably the
ones that performed very well against the elusive OPFOR down there.

I guess that's why we seldom see IG models with rucksacks. Another
future development would be actually functional environmental undersuits
that would keep soldiers comfortable in various environments,
eliminating teh need for bedrolls and sleeping bags etc. They've gone to
this rather efficient logistical model! <grin> Actually it is good that
logistics don't play much of a role in Epic40k battles, given the time
scale and short duration of the battles. However a campaign game would
need to cover them. Interesting stuff.
Los