RE: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:09:16 +0000

> Alan, the American DD Shermans did just fine. Also I am not sure that the
> DD shemans are what you should compare against. The Air Landed Light Tanks
> (which lost about 15% on landing [which would be 1 on 1D6 more or less])
> would be the better thing to compare against. The light tanks were in
> "Hamilcar" gliders. However given there over all usefullness on the
> battle field, the Epic thing that would be closes would be the Razorback,
> the Leman Russ.

Just make up something. I have seen fluff(I wish I could remember
where) that refered to 'dropping' titans, apparently by parachute.(or
with some more hi-tech device) to slow it down. If anyone can
remember where this is, it woudl help. Anyway, I would presume the
same thing could be done with most heavy equipment, I believe they
mentioned 'dropping' and imperator.

How about something like this.

Dropped Equipment.

Dropped Equipment is tanks and artillary that are dropped from
dropships high in the atmosphere. Anti-grav platforms and parachutes
are employed to stop the machinver before it crashes into the earth.
(This works well with Eldar, because most of their vehicals can land
themselves, not a manuver for the faint of heart) Any equipment may
be dropped, including titans. Infantry use the normal drop pod
rules.

Dropped equipment is presumbly released during the movement phase. It
then drifts slowly down and lands in the assault phase. Resolve the
location of the dropped objects using the normal drop pod rules,
including rules for things landing on each other, ect.

Any stand that has range may fire at the dropped units as they float
downward. Dropped units may not fire, including snap-fire. Units may
snap-fire at units that would land within 10cm of them. Dropped units
are considered to be the height of a pop-up attack. Therefore they
may always be fired on untill the assalut phase when the land. They
may also be attacked by interceptors. In which case they have an
intercept of -1 and do not fire at all. Shields, saves, ect, apply
normally.

If dropped units are assaulted after they land, resolve combat
normally, also, dropped units are not affected in subsequent turns.

Well, I think that does it.
Tell me what you think.