Re: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:22:13 -0800

Snyder, Roy B wrote:

> For the Imperial Guard to be involved in immediate combat deployment
> from orbit, in the sense of their organization is not their role.
> That's the Space Marine that does that job. The Imperial Guard are
> deployed on a planet in multiple large regiments at a time, in order
> to take a front, prevent an enemy advance, and occupy territory. They
> are the bulk of the Imperial force, and represent the mile long lines
> of military force, that are more likely to intimidate the enemy from
> moving in that direction. Now, on the other hand - I'm sure there are
> circumstances when the Imperial Guard have either joint operations
> with the space marines in quick deployment; (alike a rapid reaction
> force, using hydras and artillery) or a special operation under
> exclusive responsibility of the Imperial Guard - but I find that
> unlikely. Simply because the Space Marines do a much better job at
> that role.

No argument there, but given the huge scope of combat in M.40 it's most
likely that the I.G. will find itself stuck performing missions it was
not originally intended to perform, as have many combat units throughout
time. Of course we only have the past 3,000 years of recorded human
history to go by, but that's pretty much remained a constant in military
history.

How many Army divisions found themselves conducting Amphibious Assaults
in WWII despite the Marine Corps? Resources just got stretched too thin.
It's really only in peacetime that this specialization thing gets taken
too seriously. After a few years of war, most experienced units will be
able to handle most tasks thrown at them, whether they want to or not.

Los